My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tip for passwords as I am always forgetting..... I got a small note book to write them in, but I make sure all passwords are numbers that mean something, but put them in a code that won't mean anything to anyone else....for example instead of writing the actual numbers, I would write...." EGSDOB"....meaning eldest grandson date of birth or I'd draw a heart which stands for our wedding anniversary date. So far it seems to work.
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Love your plans, especially the garden. I didn't have any time/energy for mine last year and this year is likely to be the same unless I plan really carefully! Someone (Alan Titchmarsh?) recommended keeping the metre or so around the front door looking good if you can't do anything else so maybe that's what I should aim for! :D I am also hoping that if I get the chickens I can feed them the (safe) weeds and in return get some good compost.

Passwords: I know they say not to write them down but I do and as to losing the paper, oh yes! Been there, done that! In the end I got a notebook and wrote down what each site is with a key to the password, and try not to have too many passwords. That works for me until I lose the book :D. Most of the time it's easier to find than a paper.

I look forward to hearing about your progress with the cross stitch (what's the Hobbit quotation?) and dolls' house. I have my old dolls' house which my Dad made for me and hope to bring it back to its former glory sometime this year.
    Lol the metre of garden nearest to my front door is the messiest bit,chicken poop is the best food for your garden but you need to let it mature and mix it with other stuff because used neat it’s too strong and will burn your plants,I chuxk mine in the compost bin with everything else and it just rots down in there,I also save all my cleared leaves to make leafmould as this is like liquid gold in the garden
    I have the same password for nearly everything apart from this card account:( I’m still thinking it’s just the number on the credit card as my other two are the same number
    The quote is “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future” my Son in law found it online
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Great line, that!

I will bear in mind about not burning my plants! :D I've three compost bins on the go so I will muck out the chickens in that direction - and it might help me be a bit more attentive to the poor bins, which are watered irregularly and turned once in a blue moon.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Great line, that!

I will bear in mind about not burning my plants! :D I've three compost bins on the go so I will muck out the chickens in that direction - and it might help me be a bit more attentive to the poor bins, which are watered irregularly and turned once in a blue moon.
    My poor compost bin is also neglected but it does seem to turn out ok despite the neglect,I think adding chicken poop acts as an accelerating agent and that’s why I get away with it,mine gets wartered when I forget to put the lid back on and it’s rains :rotfl
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I’ve had another productive day today, The paperwork from SC arrived and I immediately started shaking and hyperventilating again (hopefully this will stop at some point) I had a good read of the pack and have now signed the plan and just need to get the info together to send back to them,I’m hoping I will feel well enough to go into town tomorrow so I can post it back
    I spent quite a lot of today rearranging more direct debits so the big ones are done
    Mortgage
    Rent
    Council tax
    Water company
    My energy company doesn’t appear to have the facility to change your DD online so I will need to phone them tomorrow
    The virgin account is inaccessible because I can’t remember my details
    The RCN has no facility to change details online so I just cancelled them,I’m sure they will be in touch to get me to rejoin
    Lottery is cancelled
    Netflix is a card payment so I am just going to cancel that
    So all in all a good days work,everyone is home now so I can’t do anymore today and I could do with a break so will sort the rest tomorrow,I’m hoping my new debit card will arrive tomorrow so I can register for online banking with my new account
    I’ve also done done some more washing and tidied the house the dogs been out and the chickens have been let out to have a run round the garden
    I’m still not feeling very well but I am better than i was yesterday,I just hope this cough doesn’t turn into anything sinister,I had pleurisy a few years ago and whenever I get a cough I’m terrified it will come back,it was incredibly painful,if I carry on recovering at this rate I should be able to go back to work on Friday which will be a relief as I’m going to be in trouble for being off today and Monday afternoon,you would think the NHS would cut you some slack but they are awful if you need time off and I have been on some form of sickness monitoring for years because of chronic pain,I dread getting ill because I can’t have time off without being hassled about it
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glad to hear you are feeling slightly better. I had pneumonia in 2012 and every time I get a cough I worry about that as well, so I can sympathise with how you feel. Be careful going back to work too soon though. I know they hassle you, but you need to recover properly or you will be ill again. Plus you are spreading the virus to everybody else....Take care
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Glad to hear you are feeling slightly better. I had pneumonia in 2012 and every time I get a cough I worry about that as well, so I can sympathise with how you feel. Be careful going back to work too soon though. I know they hassle you, but you need to recover properly or you will be ill again. Plus you are spreading the virus to everybody else....Take care
    Thanks,I narrowly escaped pneumonia thank god,Im going to see how I am tomorrow afternoon before I decide whether to go back or not,weirdly the NHS dont care about you spreading your bugs which is probably how I ended up like this is the first place,all my colleagues come to work with the bugs unless itsD&V a cold isnt considered grounds for being off unfortunately, they make us have a flu jab as well but this year its not been that effective
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Woke at 5am this morning coughing away so had a cup of tea and read until I was sleepy again,I’m now up for the second time and I’m trying to decide if I feel any better than yesterday,the cough is worse now but my head feels a bit clearer,I’m going to shower and get dressed then take the dog out to see if this makes me feel,worse or better then decide on a plan of action, then I need to phone work and let them know if I am going to be back or not
    I spent some of last night reading the Debt Free Roll Of Hounour Thread again and I’m now up to page 20,it’s a really inspiring read and I noticed lots of people on there had joined the Payment a Day Challenge so I went and checked that out and joined up,I’m starting to see this is something thing I can beat if I put my mind to it and I’m getting quite excited about trying to save money wherever I can
    I want to post the SC paperwork back to them today but this will involve a bus ride to the local post office ,it all depends on whether I decide I’m well enough to go to work tomorrow or not,if not Saturday will be the next time I can get out but I really really really want to post it today,I think if I just worked a normal day I wouldn’t be so worried about going back but I work 12 hour shifts in a busy hospital and and it’s so warm in there it makes me you feel like crap,I’m also worried about the amount of time off I’ve had and how much trouble I’m going to be in but the thing is if I go back tomorrow and I end up leaving early because I can’t handle it that will be classed as a separate sickness episode and will make things worse,so I need to be sure I will last the whole day,I’m going to take some Day Nurse in a minute to see if that helps.
    I’m also going to be chopping up my CCs today and shredding any unwanted paperwork because I have a pile that’s not needed or relevant I think that’s enough to be getting on with
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    There are so many excellent threads I could stay up all night reading! Good going on the paperwork, well done. Mine goes in the fireplace - once it's burnt I can't be tempted to think I might want it!

Hope you feel better soon. It sounds as though an extra day off might be more constructive in the long term but it's never an easy one to judge, is it? How long have you had this cold now? I usually reckon on 4 days to be over the worst but people vary.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 8 February 2018 at 12:53PM
    Options
    The cold started on Sunday but I went to work on Monday and lasted until 2pm when I really started to feel Ill shivery and achey so I can home and Ive been like it since then,Im not shivery or achey any more but my chest is very wheezy and breathing results in coughing which is quite painful,Im not sure if Ive got a chest infection or if its just a normal cold that will just go away,I managed to get an appointment with the practice nurse for tomorrow to listen to my chest and if there is anything going on she can get one of the docs to do me a prescription, Ive just phoned work and told them I wont be in tomorrow,I took the dog out round the block and had to keep stopping because I couldnt get my breath,it settling down again now Im at home in the warm,I very rarely go the docs but last time I was like this I left it and ended up with pleurisy which I definitely dont want again,at least if I have a doctors appointment work can see that I was genuinely ill
    I havent got a fire but if I did I would definitely burn my paperwork,I would find that quite therapeutic,I always feel like a dodgy politician when Im shredding stuff
    I!!!8217;m just having a coffee and recovering from taking the dog out then I!!!8217;m on a mission to sort stuff out,at least I can do it all sitting down andseeing as I have to go to the docs to our can post my Stepchange paperwork back then
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback