MSE News: 'We need to change your meter'...

Options

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I for one am sick unto death of being offered "ways to reduce my energy usage". I don't spend money if I can avoid it, and that includes on energy; I don't switch on appliances unless I need them. But being disabled, with a severe autoimmune condition, I have to have adequate heat and light, as and when I require it.And I'm the sort of person who will sit in the dark and shiver if someone implies to me that I am using "too much" energy. Heck, I can't even put on an extra jumper unless my husband is here to assist me with it! :wall::wall::wall:
    Ok, rant over.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I for one am sick unto death of being offered "ways to reduce my energy usage". I don't spend money if I can avoid it, and that includes on energy; I don't switch on appliances unless I need them. But being disabled, with a severe autoimmune condition, I have to have adequate heat and light, as and when I require it.And I'm the sort of person who will sit in the dark and shiver if someone implies to me that I am using "too much" energy. Heck, I can't even put on an extra jumper unless my husband is here to assist me with it! :wall::wall::wall:
    Ok, rant over.

Don't you be cold, LameWolf! If your energy provider is not doing everything they can to help you already, then they should be. I, for one, would like to thank you for your posts; I have learned from you. Is that not the whole point of a forum? Thank you.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Michaelw wrote: »
    Energy salesmen are being offered commissions of up to £50,000 a year to convince homeowners to install smart energy meters.

If you believe a word of that, then I've got a bridge you may be interested in buying.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't believe it anymore than I would believe energy suppliers trying to bully people into have smart meters.

Oh whoops! I do believe that energy suppliers would try to bully people into having smart meters so that they can reach their targets. Also that it is worth paying someone lots of money to do that if it avoids them paying fines
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Also that it is worth paying someone lots of money to do that if it avoids them paying fines

It's a nice conspiracy theory but very unlikely to have any grounding in reality.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2018 at 11:22AM
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    It's a nice conspiracy theory but very unlikely to have any grounding in reality.
    I agree. This latest con will be associated with getting around doorstep selling OFGEM rules, and will simply be some suppliers using the smart meter roll out as a way round this.
    No suppliers will be paying any door knockers wages just to talk people into having smart meters.
    Switching to them is a different matter and that is where their commissions will be earned.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    All energy companies can stick their smart meters up their pooper. I'm quite capable of reading and submitting my own meter readings and know exactly how much I use. I don't need no corporate spying and collecting info on me so they can use it for profit.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    All energy companies can stick their smart meters up their pooper. I'm quite capable of reading and submitting my own meter readings and know exactly how much I use. I don't need no corporate spying and collecting info on me so they can use it for profit.

I am not sure that the millions of people now buying Amazon Echo, Google Home necessarily agree with you.

It will be interesting to see when the rollout of UK smart metering is complete, how many dissenters actually standby their principles when faced with only a limited choice of expensive non-smart meter tariffs. These tariffs will reflect the extra business costs of dealing with just a few customers in a non automated way.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    I am not sure that the millions of people now buying Amazon Echo, Google Home necessarily agree with you.

It will be interesting to see when the rollout of UK smart metering is complete, how many dissenters actually standby their principles when faced with only a limited choice of expensive non-smart meter tariffs. These tariffs will reflect the extra business costs of dealing with just a few customers in a non automated way.

Obviously not but I wouldn't want one of those either. Not because of any spying, I just see no point. I can switch the light on or turn the TV off myself without looking like a proper tw*t shouting "Alexa Alexa" every 5 minutes. :)

And more expensive tariffs for non-smart meter users? So this is proof through the back door that energy will cost more during peak times and busy periods too? Hmmm!

Also that post earlier about Capita collecting the smart meter data for the energy companies, why does a diagram on their website show a smart fridge freezer connected to a smart meter? If I had a smart fridge surely I would have it connected to my router not the smart electric meter? What do they want to know what is in my fridge for?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Obviously not but I wouldn't want one of those either. Not because of any spying, I just see no point. I can switch the light on or turn the TV off myself without looking like a proper tw*t shouting "Alexa Alexa" every 5 minutes. :)

And more expensive tariffs for non-smart meter users? So this is proof through the back door that energy will cost more during peak times and busy periods too? Hmmm!

Also that post earlier about Capita collecting the smart meter data for the energy companies, why does a diagram on their website show a smart fridge freezer connected to a smart meter? If I had a smart fridge surely I would have it connected to my router not the smart electric meter? What do they want to know what is in my fridge for?

This is a typical ToU tariff in Toronto where my daughter lives:

https://www.oeb.ca/rates-and-your-bill/electricity-rates

The whole point of a smart grid ( of which smart meters are but a part) is to better manage supply with demand. For example, at the moment we all pay to have additional generators on standby on a just in case they are needed basis. We also pay wind farm owners £Ms to feather the blades on their generators when demand is low and winds are high. Why not encourage people to charge their electric vehicles or turn on the tumble dryer when energy supply is high through a lower unit price.

Yes, smart devices such as freezers are included in the diagram. When demand is high, just think of the power generation savings if say 20M freezers could be turned off for a couple of hours. The same thing will probably happen with electric vehicle charging during peak demand periods. That said, I do not see this happening on a large scale anytime soon.

As far as legacy tariffs are concerned, the cost/ benefit analysis behind the smart meter programme includes £6 a year for manual meter reading; reduced costs for meter reading validation and administration on switching etc. It would not be unreasonable, in my opinion, to pass these extra admin costs on to those who decide not to have a smart meter fitted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure