Heating single room, OFR or central heating?

Options
joeyboy
joeyboy Posts: 256 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
We don't have the heating on all that much as we're out a lot, I tend to just set it to a low temperature like 12c all day as I've read it helps stop the risk of pipes freezing if it drops below that.

However I have a box room that I want to keep at about 20c. Is the most economical way to do this to use an Oil filled radiator, I have one thats 1kw and heats the room to this temperature, or use central heating & turn off the other radiators (well frost protection mode I guess) in the house and move the thermostat (its a wireless thing) to this room?

Obviously per kwh gas is markedly cheaper, but i was unsure how many kwh the boiler ends up using to heat a single radiator to achieve X degrees compared to its theoretical maximum output.

Need one of those smart meters that reads all this stuff haha.

Comments

• PeterGr
    PeterGr Posts: 267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is nothing stopping you running each way for a week, and reading your meters to compare. As long as occupancy and weather is similar it will give you a reliable answer to your question.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 December 2018 at 2:44PM
    Options
    Theoretically, having the boiler heat one room should still be cheaper than leccy which cost 4-5 as much per kwh.

However there are efficiency losses in the gas heating system (heat loss from the pipes, the pump, boiler cycling etc) which probably reduce the advantage a bit. The other disadvantage is the fact that you might have to scuttle around turning radiators on and off to heat other rooms when you want them warm as well.

I would think that the best idea would be to try it out. Spend a week or so trying out using gas and reading the meter daily (ideally at the same time) and then doing the same using an OFR and then comparing the daily consumption in kwh and gas and then working out the costs of each.

It's probably more scientific than the rest of us having a guess because there are too many variables - how efficient your heating system is, what other heat is in the house, how many hours a day you are running this room v the others in the house, how well it's insulated, the weather etc etc.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport