Car Tax Confusion ! Please advise x

Options
Tara_Phoenix
Tara_Phoenix Posts: 38 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 15 December 2018 at 6:29PM in Disability money matters
Hi everyone

I’m due to get a new used car tomorrow and am entitled to 50% reduction in my car Tax.

It says I need to send off a insurance cover note and the part of the log book that I need to send to the dvla.

Now it’s gonna take a week probably to get a cover note back and the log book needs to go to dvla, so my question is ;

Do I really need to wait so long before I can drive my car because of the tax ?

Please advise as I can’t find any info on it x

Comments

• elle_may
    elle_may Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    When we had to do this we taxed it for 6mths at post office and payed it ourselves. You have to tax a car before you can drive it home. When you get all your doc's in place and receive your new tax from dvla you then ask dvla to cancel 6mths tax and they will refund you. less how long you have had it. Make sure next time to send your docs off to dvla it is in time for that years tax.
  • Tara_Phoenix
    Tara_Phoenix Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 December 2018 at 7:06PM
    Options
    When we had to do this we taxed it for 6mths at post office and payed it ourselves. You have to tax a car before you can drive it home. When you get all your doc's in place and receive your new tax from dvla you then ask dvla to cancel 6mths tax and they will refund you. less how long you have had it. Make sure next time to send your docs off to dvla it is in time for that years tax.
    Maybe I’ve misunderstood but why do you need to cancel your tax ?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The only way to claim the 50% reduction is to send all your documents, including the PIP award to DVLA, you can't claim this at any post office. As it could take time to do this then i'd advise you to tax your car yourself first and then DVLA will arrange a refund for what you've already paid.

Also bare in mind that the car your taxing will only be able to be used for the purposes of the disabled person. It will not be able to be used by another person for their own needs.

https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/road-tax-50-reduction
  • elle_may
    elle_may Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Maybe I’ve misunderstood but why do you need to cancel your tax ?

Because you will have the new tax at 50% and wont need two taxes. I presume you have standard mobility awarded to get the 50%.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    The only way to claim the 50% reduction is to send all your documents, including the PIP award to DVLA, you can't claim this at any post office. As it could take time to do this then i'd advise you to tax your car yourself first and then DVLA will arrange a refund for what you've already paid.

Also bare in mind that the car your taxing will only be able to be used for the purposes of the disabled person. It will not be able to be used by another person for their own needs.

https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/road-tax-50-reduction

Exactly
    When my 50% road tax didn't arrive in time last year.
    I paid full 12mths and eventually got refund for 6 mths from dvla.
    When I called dvla before it expired I was told dvla won't even look at my application before expiry date (due to volume of tax applications)
    I had thought previously they would have processed my tax request including cashing the cheque for 50% 12 mths.
    On the same phone call I was told it wouldn't be legal to drive whilst my tax renewal hadn't been processed/not arrived hence I gave in immediately and paid 100%
    Not sure what to do during 2019 -I thought I was being responsible allowing 2-3 weeks ahead of expiry during 2018.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Tara_Phoenix
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.

It seems very awkward for anyone really who has a reduction just to drive away their car.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.

It seems very awkward for anyone really who has a reduction just to drive away their car.
    It really isn't that difficult. Just tax it the way you always used to and then you'll receive a refund. If you chose not to do it this way then you won't be able to drive your car until after Christmas.
  • gbhxu
    gbhxu Posts: 338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    It really isn't that difficult. Just tax it the way you always used to and then you'll receive a refund. If you chose not to do it this way then you won't be able to drive your car until after Christmas.

It may not be difficult but the process is all wrong.

I'm in the same situation as OP. Just got another car and need to tax it.

Thanks to the law, DVLA will get 2 months road road tax for the same vehicle.

I've had to get a neighbor to write me out a cheque because I don't have a chequebook and don't want to pay the extortionate charge for a postal order.

The cashier having to look at a PIP reward letter shouldn't be too difficult!
  • poppy12345
    Options
    gbhxu wrote: »

Thanks to the law, DVLA will get 2 months road road tax for the same vehicle.

I've had to get a neighbor to write me out a cheque because I don't have a chequebook and don't want to pay the extortionate charge for a postal order.

The cashier having to look at a PIP reward letter shouldn't be too difficult!
    I don't make the rules....
  • stevenpc
    Options
    i had a monthly dd setup for my road tax and when i became eligable for the 50% reduction they refunded my dd payment when they processed my application have to say its a pain having to send a cheque off as not possible to pay online or phone or by dd hope they sort that out soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure