£15,000 to 0

Options

Comments

• indigowarrior
    Options
    Hi Silver Queen,
    I followed your blog. Your doing really well.
    I am considering doing BA Law (hons) with the open university. So its an eye opener at how much you get paid.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    Hi indigowarrior. It certainly isnt all glitz and glam like in suits. It’s a lot of stress and responsibility and relative to the hours, the pay isn’t wonderful.

Admittedly due to the size of my firm and nature of work, I do have a lot more responsibility than many people in the same position as me would have and I don’t get paid enough (imo) to reflect this.

But I also know of magic circle trainees who get paid enormous sums (circa £60k) who, on the surface, are well remunerated but when they work out their hourly wage, they actually get paid minimum wage or close to. I know someone who once worked 12+ hour days every day, including every single weekend for 3 months.

I often wish I had not got myself into this to begin with and am seriously considering changing careers after qualification.

It is something to think long and hard about because law WILL be your life for a good number of years (3 years bachelors, 1 year lpc, 2 years training contract).

The only thing is, it does make a difference to people’s lives and to society in general. Whenever I get a big win I’m like :D so it is swings and roundabouts. It’s up to you whether you’re prepared for the responsibility and the (lack of) work life balance, although there are some law firms that are very chilled out - generally wills and some residential property firms.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    Another pro - I!!!8217;m not sure how old you are but law is certainly a career field that you can change into later on in life. I don!!!8217;t get taken seriously because of my youth and lawyers are generally at their peak at around 40-50!
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Silver Queen, I want specialize in helping victims of sexual abuse. I know its going to be hard work so I am considering waiting until Next year. Had catastrophic life changes in my life since April so I want the dust to settle first. I know its going to be hard. I am 29. I have no qualifications and have been out of work a shocking length of time due to ill health. However, I am determind to change my life around.
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    That’s really great and a very fulfilling line of work but you certainly will not be paid well for it. Have you thought about volunteering for a DV charity or similar? My friend’s mum runs one in Kent. I think it would be good experience and you’d be able to see if you genuinely want to do it. I imagine it’d be extremely taxing emotionally.
    Total £7,000
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Its not the money aspect I am bothered about really. Its about helping women like myself to get justice. I am not expecting to be rich. :). As long as I have enough to pay for a roof over my head. Then I will be fine.
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Falafel sounds like a bit too much work for me :rotfl: but will deffo give the hummus a go. I do have a can of chickpeas so will go hunting for the rest when the weather is better. Will take note to get fresh garlic... Not keen on 'fridge' taste. I want to make baladi bread to go with it so will need to try and find a recipe. Not a fan of vine leaves so I would be steering clear of them!

Hope you made it to payday unscathed and don't feel bad about buying lunch out a few times. As long as it isn't a habit it's fine.... We can't all be good all the time and as long as you're still making progress that's all that matters. I've had a few slip ups this month buying myself some serious 'wants' rather than 'needs' but it doesn't mean my attitude has changed and at least I can safely say I haven't added to my debt which is the main thing.

What's the weather like down south? Have you had any time off work for it?
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    The weather!!!8217;s been miserable and freezing cold, we did get quite a bit of snow but not enough in central London for my boss to let us off work sadly!

I!!!8217;ve decided this month to pay back the remainder of the overdraft so I just have the parental debt to concentrate on. The OD has until June on 0% but I thought I may as well pay it back now.

I!!!8217;ve worked it out and I should just about manage to pay the whole lot off this month but there might be about £100 lingering until next month depending on how disciplined I am.
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ahh that's a shame... You got the crummy weather but none of the benefit of it! Good idea on paying back the overdraft. Even if it's still interest free I think it's better just to get it done and dusted. Just having one thing to focus on is far easier I think and then with every payment you'll see significant headway with the parental loan which will help to keep you motivated!
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    This stupid apostrophe thing is driving me mad! My posts will just have to be grammatically incorrect from now on.

Meant to call today to pay off the whole overdraft but didn’t get around to it. Will do it tomorrow before I leave for work!
    Total £7,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport