PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moving to live in a caravan

Options

Comments

• Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We lived in a static caravan for about 6 months but it was in our garden. We had to move out of our bungalow while an extension was being done (roof removed completely). It was OK but I'd rather not do it again. Saying that it wasn't a modern one and it was in the winter months.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We lived in a static caravan for about 6 months but it was in our garden. We had to move out of our bungalow while an extension was being done (roof removed completely). It was OK but I'd rather not do it again. Saying that it wasn't a modern one and it was in the winter months.
    We didn't move out of our house whilst doing a major refurb over 3 years, including the roof, ceilings, walls.....everything.

It was still better in our estimation than living in a caravan!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To be fair, those "moaning" about living in a caravan, while living on site of any house rebuild .... it's a different ballgame because you at least have a future point, a goal, a dream, right there before you.

Maybe the issue there is that most renovators don't see the caravan as "their home" and overpack it with "stuff" ... and "rough it a bit too much", rather than actually seeing it as "their home" and really committing to it.

Actually "living in a mobile home" without the dream being built before your very eyes, is a different mental mindset of your experience.

As many people do live in these full-time, for years ... quite happily ... I just think the frustration at not having an overnight house build just 20' away is what really clouds their judgement .... and overpacking it with "stuff" as they see it as "temporary, we can squat here for awhile and muddle through" right before the build end date moves a lot for unexpected and annoying issues. They take the frustration out on their accommodation rather than the real cause of their discontent.
  • ErasmusOzzy
    ErasmusOzzy Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I had to live in the caravan for 1 year. The summers are great. there is a lot of positives.
    But the winters are very difficult. Think well before you decide
    :beer:
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I know someone who lives in a residential mobile home. She says she is very happy there. Moved from house on a rough council estate because she had mobility problems and couldn't afford a 'regular bungalow' so they cleared their mortgage and downsized.

This is a residential site rather than a holiday site so runs all year round , there are age restrictions I think all residents have to be over 50, not 100% sure but I do know that one family who had their 20 something son living with them for a few months because he was homeless were eventually asked to leave because he couldn't find his own separate accommodation ... I have been told of other people who have moved on because they 'didn't fit in' and didn't like it there. Others have lived there for many years and seem to love it !

There are many other rules and regulations which cause my friend to stress somewhat , eg tidy gardens, no washing hung out, limitations on pets etc etc.

There is ground rent to pay which seems high and water, gas and electricity are all supplied by the site owners at a set rate which may be higher than average!

The mobile homes are hot in summer and cold in winter . My friend runs heating or air conditioning 24 hours a day at some times of year so the premium priced power bills are increased !

Because the homes are close together everyone knows everyone else's business and keeps a close eye out, this can be good or bad but means my friend has had a lot of help in times of poor health etc.

Personally I wouldn't want to live there but given the choice between living in a block of tiny flats or living in a Park Home then I think the park home might win. I hope I never have to make that choice though... certainly those that live there seem happy and stay and the empty homes sell quickly so it suits some people !
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    It's such a difficult question - some people like the great outdoors and will live quite happily in a caravan on a farmers field. I loved my caravan holidays I have very happy memories. But I would need a future goal - couldn't live in one for ever.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    We didn't move out of our house whilst doing a major refurb over 3 years, including the roof, ceilings, walls.....everything.

It was still better in our estimation than living in a caravan!

I'll try and find a pic to show you why we didn't live in it. Everything was removed. All that was left were the walls. We did everything too including a fairly big extension. Hubby did most of it himself too. Didn't do the brickwork to save time and it was the middle of winter. Didn't do the electrics or put the boiler in because of the certs needed.

It didn't take us 3 years but it did take a long time to get planning permission. Don't think it even took a year and hubby was still working then. He worked away most of the time too, so was only home weekends.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A proper park home park will be licensed for 365 days a year living and residents will have some form of security of tenure. Most cater for over 50s only. Park home construction is very different to that of static/holiday caravans and is designed for all year living so should not be cold in winter nor overly hot in winter, being well insulated.

A 40' x 20' park home will have excellent accom, 2 or 3 beds and either cloakroom or en suite as well as family bathroom. £200K is not unusual for a brand new sited home and as others have said you will pay ground rent. Council Tax band will be either A or B.

You have to do your sums and as you are the only one who knows your financial position only you can decide if it is a beneficial. Do plenty of research.

Living in a large tourer or in a static designed for holidays is possible, but there could or will be space, insulation, heating and occupancy length problems.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would far rather live in a static caravan / mobile home than on some sink estate somewhere,

I think those bemoaning them have either never lived in one or have only got stereotypical views on them.

I have one on my land and love it, yes its warm in summer but then so is anywhere, its cold in winter but no more than my house. Inside I have gutted it and its like a little flat and once the curtains are drawn, the fairy lights on and candles lit you could be absolutely in the plushest room.

I absolutely agree with a previous poster who said those living in them temporarily as a prelude to building a home is different to living in one with no idea when you could go back to bricks and mortar ( if you want traditional construction )

I bought mine for £900 over 10yrs ago and in that time I could have spent £90k on renting a 1 bed flat but now that money will put towards building my house.

its totally watertight and comfortable and with a bit of imagination they don't even look like mobiles as per my neighbour who has clad and decked his and got beautiful planting around it .
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    Options
    BBH,that sounds lovely however owning the land on which your static rests has probably saved you a fortune in pitch fees and service charges.

Its always the freehold land that's going to make it a very affordable option

Have you thought about charging a minimal pitch fee to others to join you..in weather like this I could be persuaded to glamp!!!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills