PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm going for £260.00 and will finish after shopping on 28th January

Total so far, £148.57
    Tesco £7.88
    New Total £156.45
  • happycrafter_2
    Options
    triticale wrote: »
    On a more GC note, I went to Mr T's last night for some veg oil for deep frying, didn't really want to spend £3.93 on a 3 litre bottle so was about to buy 2 x 1 litre bottles, then noticed they were 'Buy 3 for £3'! It is effectively nearly a '3 for 2' as two would have cost £2.90.

I also got a lovely bag of pears for 30p and some beautiful asparagus for 30p! Now I am flummoxed as to what to have with it though, I usually have it with pasta and some kind of cheese sauce, but I left my cheese in OH's fridge (don't ask!!) 100 miles away so that's not doable.

Any asparagus ideas? It doesn't need to be a huge family meal, it will just be for me. At the moment the best idea I have is - steamed, olive oil + salt & pepper, which seems a bit dull.

Dunk them in a soft boiled egg like toast soldiers
  • jjef
    jjef Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    Options
    Pay day for us today and I survived on my £120 from the 1st until 17th, looking at £300 to keep us going until the end of the month hoping to get all storecupboard bits in a big shop this week and will aim to just need top ups for the start of Feb.
  • triticale
    triticale Posts: 771 Forumite
    Options
    martafdz wrote: »
    triticale, For the asparagus, if they are the green ones, you can try to gridle them with a bit of oil and garlic. When they have the griddle marks, I take them out. I also do this with green beans!!! You need to add them to the griddle when it is hot, otherwise they might soak in the oil (as any other vegetable).

Also good if you cut them in chunks, put them in a pan with oil, a bit of salt and a bit of pepper. When almost done, add an egg and stir until they are all mixed together and the egg has just cooked. Or in omelette, I prefer to steam or boiled a tiny bit before these but some other people do them directly. They are amazing mixed with spring onions if you do any of these two.

Wrapped in bacon and in the oven.

I kind of run out of ideas now lol, but I am hungry, so off to make lunch, then get ready and off to the post office to send all my eBay things!! :D

Thank you!!! I hadn't thought about omelette, I don't have a griddle pan or any bacon, but I do have eggs and needed to get spring onions for fried rice later in the week anyway, that's tea sorted (and a 'luxury'* one too), yum yum! :j
    Dunk them in a soft boiled egg like toast soldiers

Mmm, sounds lovely too, I am sold on the omelette though! I won't be stuck for ideas next time. :beer:

* 'luxury' compared to the leftover freezer potato stew with leftover roast potatoes I am currently eating for lunch! :rotfl:
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2011 at 2:02PM
    Options
    Welcome Ilona :hello:

And nice to see you back Katholicos :wave:
    martafdz wrote: »
    Thank you minnie for the tips in soda crystals. I did not know it sorted out drains, I am buying it for sure to try and unclog mine! It takes ages for the water to drain in the bath and it leaves all the soap in the sides! :( They used to be fine, so I guess the drain might be a bit blocked somewhere down the way.
    Martafdz If you have a shower above your bath that you also use, it could be hair hun. Mine was the same just before Christmas, and after trying copious amounts of bleach, I got OH to take the side of the bath off and undo the u bend under the bath, and there was an enormous ball of hair stuck in it _pale_

In case anyone is interested, there are more uses for Soda Crystals HERE
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • happycrafter_2
    Options
    Just worked out my shopping:

A$da = £126.04 including £10 on savings card
    Ald! = £60.48
    Total £186.52/£250.00

was very weird paying cash for everything when I have used my card for so many years.

I just need to go to the local butchers for the rest of my items and the main big shop is done. Then I have to buy fruit/veg/milk and bread on need to eat basis.
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Options
    After talking about eggs, omelettes and left overs I went and made an omelette with the potato wedges I had left from two days ago and some bacon. :D

Scrambled eggs, spring onions and asparagus is a traditional Spanish dish, specially in the east and south. They (or "we", since I am from Spain lol) add prawns or mushrooms sometimes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTna_xdWA9gVsINxjfOI6wzdBJK1OP9hbS_tvmTmXQCvrR9cc0
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    Martafdz If you have a shower above your bath that you also use, it could be hair hun. Mine was the same just before Christmas, and after trying copious amounts of bleach, I got OH to take the side of the bath off and undo the u bend under the bath, and there was an enormous ball of hair stuck in it _pale_

In case anyone is interested, there are more uses for Soda Crystals HERE

Thanks!
    I do believe it is hair. My hair. Lol. I have loads, all hairdressers comment on it... but not cheerfully lol. I had two at a time trying to dry my hair sometimes! I had it long before my bleach disaster and even though I am careful with it, I am sure a good amount has gone down. The problem is that I do not have access to the bend, the bath has tiles all over the side! :( I am going to go to MrM today, if I see soda crystals I will buy a couple of bags and use them in all my drains. Thank you for the list of uses, I am going to try it as a degreaser in the glass tray of my oven too, the oven cleaner is far too expensive so I am going to try this first.

Thank youuuu! :j
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Options
    Stuck using local expensive shops as husband has managed to lose 2nd car key in 2 weeks and his car is now imobilised. Still well within budget though, so not too bad. Will requisition the car tomorrow for a proper Mr T shop - need F&V and some storecupboard stuff. How is it that we've been living out of the freezer for 2 weeks and its still stuffed?

Got the takeaway book through from Amazon today. Can't wait to do my own fajitas etc.

Also received my meat slicer. Can finally cut some of the sausage we picked up in France. Wild boar and hazelnut. Mmmmm. Not too good for the diet though ;-)
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    Today I need bin liners, bananas, eggs and full fat milk to use in cooking for DS. Nothing else. I will keep repeating this to myself as I wander around Mr S.;)

Well it didn't work.:o I remembered I needed Halloumi cheese for Friday tea and Mr M (where I do my main shop on a Friday) don't stock it so bought that but was also tempted by half price BE fish fingers at 99p for DS and half price cath city a £1.99 which we would have needed next week.:o

Off to update my signature
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business