PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you buy a house with a dark kitchen?

Options

Comments

• KaratePigeon
    KaratePigeon Posts: 277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's this house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70411649.html?premiumA=true-

It doesn't really look like the photos as they must have used a wide angle lens and a bright flash! but the floorplan is there.

I know it needs some work, new kitchen, redecorating, turf put in the back garden. Actually on 2nd viewing the kitchen didn't look at dark as I remembered it (though they had all the windows/doors open which probably helped) but it looks a bit tattier than I remembered it! Definitely needs some work though hopefully just cosmetic.

Saw another couple of houses which were much nicer but this one is much better location for the kids school etc.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Is picture 6 the study/dining room? It looks unused. Removing the wall and adding a dining table, small sofa and tv could be good.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    My kitchen’s quite dark - east facing but with a steep hill so you only get a few rays of sun peaking at mid morning in summer. I’ve got a load of warm Philips Hue lighting in there with a motion sensor. It’s never bothered me. It’s just one of the compromises that come with having a limited budget.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Do you really spend enough time at the sink to be daydreaming away looking out the window?

Isn't this why we have dishwashers?

Have you tried to find good quality kitchen staff lately ?

They either want way too much money or are not prepared to work long hours.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • gwynfil
    gwynfil Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The house looks fine. I found this link.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/SN5/Ryan-Close.html
    Think it is the same street/area. The good news is that people don't seem to move much in that area which suggests it is a nice place to live. House prices have gone up lots. However, the sold prices in 2012 are quite a bit less it seems. Is it a bit overpriced? It may be that prices really have gone up that much. I know a house is more than about making profit, but it's good to get it at a fair price.
  • m1kjm
    m1kjm Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't have a problem with that kitchen at all, it's the room with all the plates on the walls that I find odd.
  • KaratePigeon
    Options
    Thanks. Yes house prices have gone up loads in the area so it's actually quite a good price now for the size of the plot. It was listed at £340 originally. It's just not pretty :/
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Thanks. Yes house prices have gone up loads in the area so it's actually quite a good price now for the size of the plot. It was listed at £340 originally. It's just not pretty :/

Pretty is in the eye of the beholder. Look at it as bricks and mortar and decide if you can make the amdjustments to make the property work for you.

The one thing you can't change about a house is location, conversely, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

You clearly like the location, from your description the kitchen was gonig to be a dark galley which it isn't from the photos IMO (seen worse even with windows) Main question is, can you make that space work for you in the long run?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• KaratePigeon
    KaratePigeon Posts: 277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've slept on it and just can't decide. The other option (with the nice kitchen) is a 5-bed a mile away, but it's on a road (not a super-busy road, but a through route). It's a nice enough area though.

This house is a cul-de-sac which would be so much better for the kids (my 4 year old's favourite thing to do is play on her bike outside and I'd feel so bad if she couldn't do that anymore. They could also still walk to school and play with their friends at the nearby park. I think it could be nice but does need a lot of money spending on it. Though it's 35k less than the other one so maybe I could get it looking nice for that.

A weird thing yesterday when we viewed the house, the vendors had the heating on. It was a really warm day and they were sat out the back with all the doors and windows open but the radiators were boiling hot! What's that about, could they be trying to hide something/prove the heating works/is there something wrong with it and it doens't turn off?! Also they locked us in, purposefully locked the door behind us when we came in and made a show of letting us out when we'd finished. That's odd right?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There's scope there to open up and make it into a proper kitchen/diner, taking light from the now seperate dining room, which looks like it was originally part of the garage. If you are going to replace the kitchen anyway this might make sense.

For a kitchen, with 6 doors in it, it's always going to be a compromise design .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure