How to stop spending?

Options
How do you just stop spending?

I have read Martins Mantra. I have spending diaries and goals.

But I just cant seem to stop wasting money.

My money goes on takeaways, amazon, and just stuff that I do use but could live without.

Anyone got any tips for how they cut the rubbish out?

Comments

• poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Rebecca01 wrote: »

I have read Martins Mantra. I have spending diaries and goals.

But I just cant seem to stop wasting money.

My money goes on takeaways, amazon, and just stuff that I do use but could live without.

Anyone got any tips for how they cut the rubbish out?

It is quite simple really.

You say to yourself "I do not need to buy this."

It's called self control, and is quite easy to master once you get into the mindset of moneysaving.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rebecca01 wrote: »

It is called self-control. You either exercise or you don't. There's no magical solution - only a choice.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to waste money on food and takeaway coffee etc but now it actually annoys me! Until you get to that stage, maybe move to using cash for everything? I have my pay paid into a savings account. I can withdraw cash at the machine but it won't work for purchases. Of course I transfer money from there to a ' bills' account where everything is paid by direct debit but what's left in the ' savings' is mine to spend.
    The other tip is to work out what you have to spend and divide into 4 plastic envelopes one for each week.
    Do you do a budget? You should know how much spending money you have so you don't go over.
    I try to think that every purchase I don't need is just delaying debt repayments.
  • S1984
    S1984 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I got a couple of apps on my phone which am using this year which seem quite impactful.

Ipon: 52 week saving challenge
    Bucket: Lets you add an amount , a goal and saving towards a target
    Yolt: Breaks down your bank transactions to what you spend and waste on

The reason I got these was because I significantly need to stop wasting money and it needs to go to paying off my HUGE debts!!!!! It was impactful to me to see where money was going.....a lunch here, a coffee there and really made me think about how the lack of care and attention with plastic cards has got me into this mess

So for me (a person that has limited self control) the apps are useful

The 52 week saving challenge is fun - although I won't save as much I can add 50% or even less. £1 here, £2 there

What i do is when I think....I fancy a costa coffee (4.20) - I am making a coffee and putting a £1 in a pot or £2 in a pot

The end result should be a significant reduction in my debts over the years, a debt free future and the small amounts I save I can treat at some point during the year. Even if its something simple like a meal out or a nice bottle of wine

Hope these help
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Where do you want to be in 1, 5 or 10 years time?

I decided that in 5 years time I want to be debt free. So I made a plan, I thought about what I want and why I want it, and created a realistic set of targets.

From now on, every time I am about to spend money on anything I will ask myself - Is this in the plan?

Maybe you need to ask yourself what's in your plan.

Self discipline is not easy. My spending diary is enough to help me control my frivolous spending.

Good luck :)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Add what you spent last month up, times it by 12 to see how much you waste every year. Be horrified.
    Crack open your store of self discipline
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Discipline. I stopped spending when I was in my mid fifties, I cut my working hours down to the minimum I needed to earn enough to pay for the most basic living costs. I literally stopped dead. The only things I paid for was mortgage, utilities, council tax, car running costs (I cut down on journeys, walked a lot), and the basic food I needed to survive.

Not to have to work long hours in a job I was not enjoying was a weight off my shoulders. I converted to yellow sticker shopping, foraged the hedgerows for food, and started growing my own vegetables. I kept busy to distract myself from running to the shops.

I worked out the difference between what I needed and what I wanted, and knew that I couldn't have everything I want.

I retired at 60 on a state pension, and by being a frugal skinflint superscrimper tightwad I managed to save enough to pay off my mortgage early.

If you don't trust yourself with cards, only spend cash. When your monthly allowance is gone, it's gone. Look at why you spend, is it to give yourself a boost? Think about how you can distract yourself from spending. Good luck.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try to think about what triggers your spending

For some it’s boredom, for others it’s feeling sad, or a way of procrastinating. Do you get takeaways because you come home late from work or because you feel you deserve a treat or perhaps because you’re not confident cooking? Do you find yourself browsing Amazon or looking round shops as a recreational activity?

If you can work out what your triggers are you can start to find ways to avoid those situations.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Use the tomorrow trick. i.e. I will wait until tomorrow before buying that.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Hiya - a couple of suggestions -

Its worth keeping a few quick meals in the freezer/something you can make quickly from what you have in your storecupboard, for those days when you are too pooped to cook. I'm thinking along the lines of pizza, shepherd's pie, bolognaise sauce. Then when you think about a takeway because you're too tired/don't fancy cooking, you can just dig it out of the freezer and sling it in the oven, rather than reaching for the phone.

Browsing on Amazon is more difficult. As Phizzimum says, are you using this to fill your time? What about doing things like knitting, or sewing or reading, or inviting a friend round in the evening for a chat and a coffee instead? (if you are a knitter/sewer/crafter, perhaps you could start thinking of making things to give as Christmas/birthday presents!)

The only other thing I can think of if you really can't give up looking at Amazon is to put the things you've selected into a wish-list/basket, and then leave it for 24 hrs before you go ahead and press the Buy Now button. It at lease gives you a second chance to consider whether you really want that item after all.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure