PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast

Options

Comments

• TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2018 at 10:15PM
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 21

Wow!

I'm now 3 weeks into my challenge and 95% of it has been a piece of cake. The other 5% has been monumentally hard due to my love of shopping! I have had a few episodes of withdrawal symptoms - crazy isn't it!

Due to the healthy points that I have been earning with Nectar, my normal supermarket has been Sainsbury's but our spending habits are definitely changing. When we do shop we are shopping more now at Bookers as they have awesome RTC's and the fresh produce is lasting much longer than the normal supermarkets

Anyhow, today was a Sainsbury's shop as the Nectar Swipe And Scan is on -

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/swipeandwin

A £30 shop spread over 3 shops and we did give it much thought as to what we needed.

A bit of fuel and that was it.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend :D
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You too .... and a frugal one x
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 22

Another low spending day :j

Just a £1 on parking....in St Ives finding free parking is nigh on impossible, we did try!

2 charity shop purchases which I'm very pleased with for a £4 total.

So a fiver for a Saturday - wonderful

Thank you Downshifted for your words of encouragement - it is very much appreciated especially when the going gets tough
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 23

What fun we had!!! A mahoosive spending day BUT it felt so good !!!

I've talked about changing our shopping habits and this was borne out by a visit to two different Bookers Wholesalers. I'm self employed and if you are too, I would highly recommend that you consider Bookers.
    When I talk about Bookers, I am particularly talking about their reduced to clear section in each of their departments but particularly their veg, meat and dairy sections.
    As they are wholesalers selling to retailers, when they RTC, there is still an amazing amount of time left on the produce to give the retailers time to sell it on to their customers.
    For example, we bought 4 x 4 litres of milk for £1.50 as well as a box of 50 baking potatoes for £1.50. Unlike the supermarkets where sometimes it is a struggle to get anywhere near the RTCs, there is no hassle at all at Bookers.

So our spend for the 2 different branches was £70 but we have enough fresh food for about three weeks. So although an expensive day in itself including a treat of yummy fish and chips, it is definitely going to save us money over the next few weeks
  • TM6
    edited 8 September 2018 at 8:48AM
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 24

When we first started this challenge, I really thought it was about saving money but as time goes on I realise that we are making lifestyle changes too. It has given us time to step off the consumer merry go round and reflect on what is really important to us.

We've also been taking stock of what we have in the clothes and shoes department and apart from wedding clothes we do not need to buy anything else this year!

Today's spend was a low spend day, some quorn for my daughter and a fresh pineapple. That's it!
    If only Bookers sold Quorn, we would hardly step in to a supermarket again.

So how is your week going so far?
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 25

A super No Spend Day :j
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done so far

Yes you do end up with lifestyle changes, don't mean you don't get to have a life though :)

Last week me and he went out for a two course lunch, then the cinema, with a drink each, total spend was £24 :j

If that had been a weekend night rather then a weekday afternoon, the exact same would have been closer to £60

It's always worth keeping an eye on local restaurants FB pages to see what offers they have on, same for cinema, it's half price for matinees weekdays and all day Tuesday here

And the local council usually have an upcoming events page on their website and so many things are free to do
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 26
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Well done so far

Yes you do end up with lifestyle changes, don't mean you don't get to have a life though :)

Last week me and he went out for a two course lunch, then the cinema, with a drink each, total spend was £24 :j

If that had been a weekend night rather then a weekday afternoon, the exact same would have been closer to £60

It's always worth keeping an eye on local restaurants FB pages to see what offers they have on, same for cinema, it's half price for matinees weekdays and all day Tuesday here

And the local council usually have an upcoming events page on their website and so many things are free to do

Hi Suki1964, what a lovely part of the world you live in.

Great advice and support, thank you.

I must say though because I have been SO frugal on going out so far, it was such a shock yesterday to spend £15.45 on 'ladies who lunch'. I had a lovely catch up with a friend whom I treated but ouch :eek:
    With a £1.50 charity shop spend yesterday, that was it

If you are enjoying reading about my challenge, please join in or comment as it really does encourage me to keep my eye on the prize - my trip to New York :j
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 27

:j Whoop dee do, another NSD :j
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done TM6, it!!!8217;s those NSDs that will really make a difference x
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing