PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

North London house buying areas advice

Options

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,033 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks like a tube list to me. Have you considered what happens when the tube line has problems?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And more generally, don't forget to look at train lines as well as tube lines. You're looking far enough out that you'll miss out on a lot of possibilities if you only look at the tube network and forget that trains exist too.
  • Lukesamg7
    Lukesamg7 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Have considered train line places but for where we work that would end up adding another 15-20 minutes to the commute taking it from say 40mins to 1hr and that’s not for us.

Generally tubes are prettt reliable and if not then there are always buses.
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you work near London bridge? Large parts of south East London are 15-25min by train to London Brigde/Cannon Street
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I found the highstreet was pretty good (about 15 years ago!), has it really changed that much - checking google maps now
    I would generally say that North Finchley is better than Central which is better than East. But the Council have big plans for North Finchley, so in another 5 years I'd expect North Finchley to be at the bottom of that pile. ;)
    Lukesamg7 wrote: »
    Generally tubes are prettt reliable and if not then there are always buses.
    If you want to rely on the bus for your commute if the tube isn't working then I wouldn't venture much further out than Camden or Islington boroughs.

The growth areas in Barnet borough are Colindale and Mill Hill - I'd look in those areas to start with, but if you are thinking of family then I'd go a lot further out. Thameslink from Mill Hill or Hendon is likely to be faster to the city than the Northern Line.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of budget are we talking about and what exactly do you want to buy? A Flat or a house?

all those areas vary a lot in terms of price for the different types of property you can buy.

btw i live in highgate and its a lovely area.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,033 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Lukesamg7 wrote: »
    Have considered train line places but for where we work that would end up adding another 15-20 minutes to the commute taking it from say 40mins to 1hr and that’s not for us.

Remember that you also have Thameslink straight from blackfriars/ city Thameslink/ St Pancras north to West Hampstead/ Cricklewood/ Mill Hill.....
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • nLdn
    nLdn Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought a year ago in between Kentish Town, Tufnell park and Holloway. Loved in the general area for a decade including 3 years in Archway. I'd recommend either of those areas very strongly (maybe Holloway slightly less so).

The area is brilliant for transport links and there's a really good mix of places to drink and a range of independent and chain restaurants and shops nearby.

I looked around the Finchleys when I started my search but the more I investigated I found that the crowd up there are mostly families and much of what seemed affordable was not that close to the transport links I wanted. There wasn't much diversity for me either pub or shipwise.

For greenery you're close to the magnificent Hampstead Heath and Waterloo park. I'm within easy reach by public transport and car to Finsbury Park, handy for Saturday morning Parkrun.

Safety wise I've never really felt unsafe but I would advise you exercise caution when walking right next to the tube stations, as in any area of London.

(Lower) Holloway isn't a bad area but I don't feel it's as safe as the other areas I've mentioned. The housing stock in my range wasn't as nice and I didn't like the mix of shops and pubs as much as where I had been previously.

Anyway, theres my hastily cobbled together 2penceworth. I love my part of London and am happy to answer any further or more specific questions on here or over IM. Best of luck.
  • nLdn
    nLdn Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    *lived. I typed this on my phone...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Such a shame you won't consider Muswell Hill as I loved the village feel , the open spaces, family orientated and I was a stroll away from all the bars / restaurants. I commuted into Islington and didn't find it a problem, park at East Finchley.

I lived in East Finchley prior to that and it was on the 'up' but a bit of a dreary high street when I was there ( about 10yrs ago )

Finchley itself was becoming busier and busier and Highgate and Hampstead were totally out my price range but would have been first choice, particularly Hampstead with Muswell and Crouch End second.

Islington , Holloway, archway,kentish town were no no's for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure