No More Nails (or equivilent)

Options
Looking for recomnedations, ive got 4 rroms of skirting board to do, would prefer to glue rather than nail/screw for various reasons. Is no more nails decent? anything better and/or cheaper for the job?

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We used it for sticking on a piece of plastic edging on an outward pointing wall corner and for a short section of skirting board and I was more impressed than I expected to be TBH. No experience of long lengths of skirting though.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    All the skirting in my house was fixed with Gripfill, but it was still tacked to the walls using a nail gun to hold it tight to the wall while the adhesive goes off.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ill second gripfill, cheaper and better. Plus the smell is heavenly.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    nomorenails and its equivalents all do the job, assuming the walls are straight. Personally I prefer screws because you get a better fit to any undulations in the wall (especially over longer runs) and can remove sections of skirting relatively easily should you ever need to, e.g. to run speaker or coax cable behind them, lay wooden flooring and so on.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nomorenails and its equivalents all do the job, assuming the walls are straight. Personally I prefer screws because you get a better fit to any undulations in the wall (especially over longer runs) and can remove sections of skirting relatively easily should you ever need to, e.g. to run speaker or coax cable behind them, lay wooden flooring and so on.

Go on then, how do you get to the screwheads to undo them?
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Go on then, how do you get to the screwheads to undo them?

Any kind of nail detector and dig out the filler?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 January 2018 at 5:06PM
    Options
    Any kind of nail detector and dig out the filler?
    Exactly this. Countersunk screws, blob of blue-tac or similar on the head to keep it clear, spot of filler, sand, paint, done. I use the wire/pipe detector to locate the screws or you could leave a discreet mark at ground level to tell you where they are. Once located, use a screwdriver to dig out the filler, the blu-tac comes off, clean screw head revealed.
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    4.2m lengths of skirting, a nail gun, and a box of gripfill.

I used to use screws in my period house, because the walls were like boomerangs but in a relatively new build (like the 1900's!) with flat walls, its a breeze.

With planning I've never needed to take off skirting I've put on, and even if I did, i'd rather put new on than have to sand back the old stuff I'd taken off.
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gripfill it is, thanks all. :)

Walls are reasonably straight (all just been fresly dot and dabbed and skimmed) so should be fine. Flooring allready down so that not an issue, and I dont see any reason to ever need them removed, the one room that has a TV in it has tubing behind the polaterboard along with a wide array of cables and spares to it, along with some "blank" strings to pull trhough more if needed.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I used clear silicone in a house I used to live in, the skirting was that brown plastic stuff. Worked ok.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure