SPARK SCAM: dispute over agreed case by Ombudsmen

Options
Back in October, I had an issue with Spark's final energy statement when I moved out of my rented flat. After months of highly detailed correspondence with Jennifer Veitch, the representative from Spark, I had to escalate the matter to the Ombudsmen. Spark and I both agreed to a final amount, which I had paid in full back in January. NOW, I am receiving texts, emails and letters from a debt collection agency assigned to me by Spark for an amount of £233.62. Where did this amount come from? How can they charge me more money, after we have already settled the dispute through the Ombudsman? I am completely at a loss over this, since I thought this case was closed in January. Can somebody please advise?

Thanks.

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Write to Spark heading the letter Complaint, listing the saga of this problem, the settlement agreed via the Ombudsman and details of how and when you paid it.

Remind Spark that harassment to pay a debt that has already been amicably settled, is actionable in law
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you and Spark 'agreed to a final amount', is the £233.62 now being demanded the difference between what they originally wanted from you and the agreed amount? This might then just be an administrative error that a phone call might sort.
  • june143
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. I did write back to Jennifer a few days ago, since I already had her email address but did not receive a response. I could not find a generic Spark Complaint email address, and I refuse to waste another second on the phone with them (I have already spent hours on the phone with their representatives, and I found it to be an extremely upsetting experience.) I have now written a complaint through a site called Resolver, so I hope they will be able to help. Yes, the amount that is now being demanded is the difference from the initial amount...
  • Hi june143

Sorry to hear about this.

I am the Jennifer that you would have dealt with, and as your complaint was escalated to the Ombudsman, any emails you send me regarding the Ombudsman complaint would be sent over to the team who dealt with your Ombudsman complaint.

I can't verify who you are based on this post, so if you want me to double check I've received your email, please email the address on my profile using your full name and supply address. It might be helpful if you forward over the email you sent me so I can double check it's been passed on.

The knock-on effect of the bad weather of last week certainly posed some challenges to answer rates for customer emails – we’re sorry for any delays caused by this. Rest assured, we log, review and respond to every single email that we receive, as soon as we can.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 March 2018 at 11:41AM
    Options
    Do you have paperwork where the amount agreed is outlined - presumably you must have? I was going to suggest that you put a copy of this with your complaint too - although it sounds as though you've already submitted it.

It looks to be an administrative error in that the amount you've paid has been deducted from the balance without the fact that it's a final agreed settlement begin by noted on your account. So hopefully it should be easy enough to resolve, irritating though it is.

Maybe send a copy of the paperwork to the debt recovery people too, to show that you don't owe the money.

ETA: Jenny has obviously replied whilst I was typing, so hopefully you can easily get that sorted now.
  • june143
    Options
    Hello, Jenny.

In fact, I just sent an email to customerexperience@sparkenergy.co.uk at 10.23am with my full name, supply address and account number along with forwarding all my past correspondence with you and the receipt of the amount paid in full. I will look forward to your response.

Thanks.
  • Great_Pretender
    Options
    Hi june143

Sorry to hear about this.

I am the Jennifer that you would have dealt with, and as your complaint was escalated to the Ombudsman, any emails you send me regarding the Ombudsman complaint would be sent over to the team who dealt with your Ombudsman complaint.

I can't verify who you are based on this post, so if you want me to double check I've received your email, please email the address on my profile using your full name and supply address. It might be helpful if you forward over the email you sent me so I can double check it's been passed on.

The knock-on effect of the bad weather of last week certainly posed some challenges to answer rates for customer emails – we’re sorry for any delays caused by this. Rest assured, we log, review and respond to every single email that we receive, as soon as we can.

Kind regards

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I just thought I'd jump onto the back of this thread and try and contact someone that could possibly help with my situation. I've contacted the above email through resolver to try and sort an ongoing issue regarding my account.

Long story short, I was signed upto Spark automatically when I moved into a new rental. I notified spark in the first week of occupancy and arranged a transfer to another energy supplier.
    The transfer went through and all is well, however I've received a text message stating that I owe an extortionate amount for a 1 month period. I've asked on numerous occasions for an itemised bill and a break down of what tariff you've enrolled me on, I kept getting lied to and told that a bill has been emailed or posted but so far nothing has been received.

You've now passed my details to a debt collection agency and constantly phone me early in the morning and on weekends. I've written to you directly and expressed that I am currently in the process of filing a police report regarding the harassment and have opened a case with the energy ombudsman (PM for ref no. if you require).

If you can get a hold of this and sort things swiftly I'd be very appreciative. This has had a massive effect on the health of my partner, perfect credit history and now being threatened by debt collectors... all whilst never having received a bill.

For anyone who reads this and is going through a similar situation, PM for updates regarding my case's progress.

Regards,
  • Hi Great_Pretender

No problem. I'm always happy to help.

Can you forward any correspondence over to the email address in my profile please? I've checked and can't see anything new in there from customers today, and if you can also confirm your MSE name so that I know the email links to this post.

I would be happy to investigate what you've detailed once I've heard from you, and I can stop any payment reminders.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards

Jenny
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Massinissa
    Options
    Hi Jenny,

I had been in touch with Spark regarding 276£ they want to charge between 20/26 July after 4 weeks after moving.The meter reading used to create my account is not accurate and SSE help-desk denied providing any meter readings to Spark.As been advised Spark will raise a dispute regarding this and a hold on will be on my account.Last week I sent the contract cancellation from to Spark to proceed,since that I did not hear anything and do not know what waiting me and what kind of hassle and frustration coming ahead.

Can you please help with this ?

Thank you.
  • Hi Massinissa

I'd be happy to help you with this.

Can you email the address in my MSE profile with your full name, your supply address, and a note of any move in/change of supply readings you have along with the dates the readings were taken?

I can make sure the hold is on your account, that the dispute is raised, and that we get everything sorted out as quickly as possible.

Kind regards

Jenny
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure