DRO questions

Options

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Mra199 wrote: »

With the council tax and United utilities the bills are solely in my name. Does that mean they can still make my partner liable for those?

Thanks for your help!

Potentially, yes. It does make it less likely that the water bill will go over to him.

But did that council tax bill that you have put into your DRO relate to a period when he was living with you at that property?

Were you getting a single adult discount at that time?
  • Mra199
    Mra199 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Ahh I see. Thank you.
    Yes the bill is from when I was receiving single adult discount but it also covers some of the period from when he started living here.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Yes the bill is from when I was receiving single adult discount but it also covers some of the period from when he started living here.

I would expect those two bits to be entirely different account numbers.

The first one is your debt and should be covered by the DRO. The second one will become his liability
  • Mra199
    Options
    No strangely it's all one account number. And even though I've informed them I'm no longer living alone his name has never been put onto the bill. I just presumed that was because we aren't married.. I'm not sure? Should they make him liable for the amounts owed when he did live here that's fine as it was only a few weeks arrears. I obviously just had to state this as all debts/arrears were to be included on the dro application.

Thanks for that, hopefully it works out that way.. roll on the next few days to find out my decision...
  • fatbelly
    Options
    No strangely it's all one account number. And even though I've informed them I'm no longer living alone his name has never been put onto the bill. I just presumed that was because we aren't married.. I'm not sure? Should they make him liable for the amounts owed when he did live here that's fine as it was only a few weeks arrears. I obviously just had to state this as all debts/arrears were to be included on the dro application.

Thanks for that, hopefully it works out that way.. roll on the next few days to find out my decision...

Sounds odd. Is there some reason why he isn't counted as a liable adult? (checks list):

•severely mentally impaired
    •18 year old for whom child benefit is payable
    •students, student nurses, Youth Training Scheme (YTS) and apprentices; school leavers starting a course of education in the next term
    •patients living in long term residential care homes or hospital
    •some residential care workers receiving less than £36 per week
    •residents of hostels for the homeless or night shelters (if not self-contained accommodation)
    •members and dependants of international defence organisations
    •members of religious communities
    •some people who provide care to another person (other than spouse, partner or child under 18)
    •non British spouses of students
    •persons with diplomatic privileges or immunities
  • Mra199
    Options
    Nope he fits none of those reasons, he doesn't claim any benefit either he works full time. He's definitely included in the bill as since I informed them, I no longer receive single occupier discount. I've just never seen his name stated on any of the bills!
  • Mra199
    Options
    Hi,

I've just checked the register this morning and I'm on there! So relieved.

I understand now the creditors have 30 days to reject the order. I'm sure that I read on the DRO forum on here that they can reject if credit was used in the past 3 months, is this correct?
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Hi,

I understand now the creditors have 30 days to reject the order. I'm sure that I read on the DRO forum on here that they can reject if credit was used in the past 3 months, is this correct?

Well done - that should mean the DRO was approved yesterday.

Yes, the creditors will now have their notice of your DRO and they are supposed to raise any objections within 28 days.

Creditors have no power to reject a DRO - they are now as bound by the rules of the moratorium as you are.

Their objection must be a reason why you do not meet the criteria for a DRO (that's a quick summary of the rules) so I don't think you have anything to worry about. There's no 3-month rule that I'm aware of.
  • Mra199
    Options
    Thank you, that puts my mind at rest. Makes much more sense! I appreciate your help :)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Excellent news, very pleased for you.

Hope you can put your mind at rest now.

12 months will soon pass.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure