PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Licence or tenancy?

Options
13»

Comments

• lance84
    lance84 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your help.
    Any suggestions on how to find vacant commercial building?

• lance84
    edited 21 April 2018 at 3:15AM
    Options
    I think it is a good way to make usage of all these vacant buildings in London, especially with the housing crisis and all the Brexit uncertainties. It is definitely not for everyone; for instance, you will need to leave under short notice, strict rules, etc. but it is a viable alternative accommodation for many Guardians out there. Property owners are generally pleased to have someone stay in their vacant buildings and the Guardian/s (socially responsible, professionals) clearly know what they are getting into. It can also help the owner to mitigate business rate and low insurance premiums.
  • lance84
    Options
    I know from first-hand experience that all the Guardian companies do this (shop fronts) - i personaly lived in one for a few months. There actually not that bad once you put some nice curtains across the window front. There usually fitted with a kitchen and bathroom so you would just have to build a temporary shower. I partly agree with your above message, but if you can find a place which is not so run down and reasonably fit to live in (not much to be done with H&S and fire safety) then the set-up, fire inspection, H&S requirements, DBS checks are minimal, when you could easily charge £500/600 per month, and at the same time, save the property own thousands on his/her business tax and lowed insurance premium.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lance84 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help.
    Any suggestions on how to find vacant commercial building?

33431046-hiking-boots-on-a-country-lane.jpg?ver=6
  • lance84
    edited 22 April 2018 at 3:04AM
    Options
    At first, I wasn't sure if it was a joke G_M, then it started to make me crack up - now I'm thinking maybe you're onto something hehe !!! Anyways, thanks again for all your help. Please let me know if anything else comes to mind? I know I need to get proper legal advice, but I have gain so much valuable insight from G_M and other members. .
  • TartanSaver
    Options
    I was a property guardian for a year, through one of the biggest players in that particular game. The agreement they provided was a standard document written for English law even though the property was in Scotland. It attempted the same kind of legal gymnastics as you are labouring under here.

The bottom line is this - I was paying rent, and had exclusive possession of my own room. The agreement argued that because the property guardian company had a key to my room and could inspect it at no notice (also unlawful) I did not have possession. The practical reality was that it was my room, and at one stage there were no inspections for more than six months.

I'm no solicitor, but there are reams of case law in the area of licences vs tenancies - attempting to deprive tenants of their rights by legal contrivances will be viewed dimly by courts. Courts on both sides of the border have ruled that because of the inherent power imbalance between landlords and tenants, tenants cannot simply sign away their rights, as people desperate for somewhere to stay will sign pretty much anything.

I became a property guardian with my eyes open - I did a lot of research and struggled to find evidence of legal challenges to the model which created precedent. But, in articles on the topic (on property law websites, for example) the reason for this is that the guardian companies always settle! You'd certainly be following the industry standard by employing this unlawful fiction, and most of the guardians will go along with it. However, in a serious dispute, you would be very likely to have a bad day in court.

For those wondering about the business model, the owners usually pay the guardian company in lieu of paying for security etc, and the guardians themselves pay rent which is lower than residential properties. In other words, the guardian company, although just a middleman, is making money from both tenants AND landlords. I imagine this model tends to favour larger properties, because the owner has higher costs to bear. They can also support a higher number of rent-paying guardians.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure