Extended warranty query - integrated washer dryer

Options
Hi
When I moved into my current house which was a new build, the integrated washer dryer (Zanussi model) came with a 2 year guarantee. Just before the warranty expired earlier this year it needed 4 parts replacing. Given it is used twice a week I'm not filled with confidence as how long it will be before something else goes wrong with the machine.

I am seriously considering taking out an extended warranty for piece of mind and from a cost perspective. Domestic & General will charge £115 a year which seems steep. This includes the call out fee, all parts and labour.

I wondered if there are any other firms people could recommend I try for a quote please? Would rather pay a little more for a decent warranty. Thank you

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    or self finance and put away some money for a brand/model with a long warranty that you find reasonable
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am sure that if you put away the money for the extended warranty every time you purchased a new item after a few years you would easily afford to repair or replace the items as the break or wear out and probably have a free holiday thrown in.
  • daggy
    daggy Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    Options
    Have you considered selling it and paying the extra for something like a Samsung? Samsung's usually come with a 5 years (standard 2 year and further 3 year warranty included).

Make sure you register for the additional 3 years ( I got stung with this once), fortunately we bought it on a buy now pay later so ended up getting the washer replaced anyway.

Or do what other people suggest - save the warranty fee up and you'll likely enp up with enough to replace or repair.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 April 2018 at 5:26PM
    Options
    I have a rule. If it breaks during the warranty period it is carp, repair it under warranty & waste no more money on it. If it survives the warranty period it isn't going to break down for years so it isn't worth paying for an expensive extended warranty.

I exclude from this anything which is new. Like (many many years ago) I bought a (very early model) video recorder & I did get extended warranty from a local store (not Currys etc), I used the warranty & then it was fine for years.

This is what an emergency fund is for. I know it is all in the mind but once you can manage to replace broken stuff (without borrowing) it really doesn't break as often!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure