Virgin Media - Credit Mark removal??

Options
Good morning everyone.

I am a newbie to this and a newbie to sorting my credit history out.

I had some money troubles around 7 years ago and have worked very hard to get myself back on track.

Having checked my credit report the only bad marker on my score is from Virgin Media in 2011. I lived with a friend for 6 months and had virgin tv installed. My bills were paid every month ontime via direct debit. I called up to cancel the service upon my moving out and asked at the time what was outstanding on my Bill if anything. They informed me that my account was clear (that was that or so I thought) I then a received a letter from my previous letting agent a couple of months later, which was from Virgin Media stating that I owed them £25. I called up to query this immediately and was informed that this sum was not due when I called up originally, as the bill had not yet been generated. But because they did not have my forwarding address (I didnt give it to them as I didnt think they would need to contact me as the account was up to date) they sent this bill to the my previous residence. I complained over the phone regarding the money, but paid it in the same phone call. No mention was ever made of it being recorded on my credit file and I am now fuming that it has been marked as defaulted. Any advice on how I can have this removed??

I don't have any paperwork to back anything up as it was all done over the phone.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• You-kip
    You-kip Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    You'll need to contact Virgin and explain this to them as I can't see how anyone on here will know any different.
  • HKitten
    HKitten Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest writing to them to explain the situation. Call customer services and ask if they have a specific email address for this kind of problem, and then write out the issue and be sure to point out that you always paid your bill on time and had no reason to default on the final amount, and paid it as soon as you were made aware that it was outstanding.

There's no guarantees but - I had a similar situation this week where I checked my credit file and an old mobile account with O2 was showing as in arrears. I'd cancelled the account last year and there had apparently been £7.54 outstanding at the end of the term, but they never wrote or called me to let me know. Their customer services gave me a specific credit file referrals email address to contact, I explained the mistake and I got a reply last night saying they're removing the mark.

It doesn't hurt to ask! Just be polite.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport