holiday help

Options
2»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Warning about booking a holiday a year ahead. I have booked my holiday with Thomas Cook over a year ago and have paid by Direct Debit over 12 months. The same holiday is now on Sale for 800 pounds cheaper. OK I know that Holiday prices go up and down but this is a 30% decrease. The only lesson I have learnt is Don't book your Holiday until two or three months before you want to go, as Loyalty means nothing.
    I've commented on the thread you started about booking early or leaving it to the last minute.

The same can apply to anything.
    You buy a coat and 2 weeks later it's half price in the sale.
  • byronwells
    Options
    Warning about booking a holiday a year ahead. I have booked my holiday with Thomas Cook over a year ago and have paid by Direct Debit over 12 months. The same holiday is now on Sale for 800 pounds cheaper. OK I know that Holiday prices go up and down but this is a 30% decrease. The only lesson I have learnt is Don't book your Holiday until two or three months before you want to go, as Loyalty means nothing.

hmmm really??
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

You broke the golden rule... "Book then don't look"
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    You broke the golden rule... "Book then don't look"

Or only look if it won't p*ss you off if it goes the wrong way. :D
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    tbh the first mistake was booking a package anyway.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

It's like finding an outfit you really like in the shop; do you pay full price or wait and see if you can buy it in the sales? Yes you might get a bargain if you wait, but what are the chances your outfit in your size will be reduced and you'll find it before another bargain hunter?

Unsold holidays are reduced nearer the time, but if you had waited there was no guarantee the location and dates you wanted would have still been available.

OP have you looked at Madeira or other less well known islands in the canaries? Does it have to be All Inclusive or would you consider booking direct with a local hotel and eating out?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Potbellypig
    Options
    OP - dates wise, you'd be better off going the first week of September. You'll still have the weather in the Canaries and the kids will be back at school, so the price will be a 3rd of the cost 2 weeks before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure