PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What happens if vendors don't remove agreed stuff?

Options

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    And I would go round on day of exchange* and check house is empty, and also ensure that the solicitor doesn't exchange until they've heard from you.
    And stay camped outside until completion, just in case they come back?
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm finding it quite amusing to think of the sellers' relatives as "stuff" ....
  • ExNicotineQueen
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    I'm finding it quite amusing to think of the sellers' relatives as "stuff" ....

The 'stuff' I was referring to was the junk in the back garden and the bricks in the front garden, not the relatives.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi
    Wouldnt worry too much about bricks. If they are still there when you move in put up a sign saying "free bricks, help yourself".
    The tenants are the headache, your solicitor should ensure you have vacant posession. Do NOT rely on the sellers say so.
    Junk may involve a few trips to the tip, annoying but not life changing. If you put any metal out on the front garden then it is likely to vanish.
    HTH
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What happens if when we move in, none of it has been removed? It's not a small job by any means and would be quite costly to sort out once you factor in skip hire etc.

Don't exchange contracts until it's been removed. If that's the agreed arrangement.

Skips aren't cheap these days. With all the waste disposal charges that are levied.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    Having moved many times, I cannot think that there was a single time I moved and there wasn't something either missing or left behind. I've had a cupboard of very expensive old china left that I had to repatriate with a grateful 90 year old. I've had furniture left and a greenhouse as well as light fittings taken leaving bare wires and white goods that disappeared.
    It simply isn't worth allowing these things to take the joy out of your new home
  • ExNicotineQueen
    Options
    Just had the valuation back from the bank and under one of the sections it states:

Was there any evidence during the inspection of tenancy? If yes please provide details

It is ticked yes and the response written is: Assured shorthold tenancy agreement

Can anyone shed any light on this please?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just had the valuation back from the bank and under one of the sections it states:

Was there any evidence during the inspection of tenancy? If yes please provide details

It is ticked yes and the response written is: Assured shorthold tenancy agreement

Can anyone shed any light on this please?
    It means the surveyor spotted that there was someone living there other than the owners, and has assumed they are occupying under an AST. Your solicitors have more information than the surveyor as to what the arrangement actually is, so nothing (additional!) to worry about.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless the surveyor asked the people living there. It could be he/she casually ticked the box without knowing but this does need to be brought to the attention of your solicitor and the position with the people presently living there clarified, that exchange won't happen until the property is empty of any residents.
  • ExNicotineQueen
    Options
    My partner just called the EAs and they knew that the cousin was paying the owner rent. Surely this should have been put in the advert about tenant in situ? Where does this leave us now in regards to timeline, do we have to wait until the vendor has applied for section 21 or 28? I will get proper confirmation from my solicitor if he ever answers his phone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure