What do you Consider a Good Age to Live to?

Options

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Several people I went to school with didn!!!8217;t reach 30, including one close friend who barely made it into adulthood tragically.

I knew about 10 people who didn't reach 30.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    I knew about 10 people who didn't reach 30.

Its not a competition.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    It really isn't - 70 is old and we shouldn't be afraid to say so.
    There's nothing wrong with being old and it shouldn't stop us doing whatever we want, dressing the way we want or being the sort of people we've always been but don't let "late middle age" become a euphemism for being old. There's no need for a euphemism, age is an achievement and not something to apologise for.

Age isn't an achievement, age is good fortune. If age were an achievement then Donald Trump has achieved more than Martin Luther King!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd like to make it to 80, alert & passably spry - my parents & grandparents managed it, so I reckon I've a decent chance.

The hitch is my beloved sisters - who may survive also & I am unconvinced about the delights of that. (I'm very fond of them but the idea that the organ recital becomes competitive? or that one will totter & us sisters be expected to uphold her?) If we must, we must, but if my health goes unreliable, I'll take up shoveling the snow clad in just a smile.

A really good age for me is 90 having buried my parents and my sisters & met (most of) my grandchildren. I'd be hugely peeved not to see my lads marry - if only as I'd like to see who they coax into matrimony or whatever the arrangement is.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    Its not a competition.

Never said it was, Just echoing your point that sadly not everyone will reach even middle age.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Some people "beat the average" one way or another on the "how many people one knows that died young".

I'm in my 60's and, rack my brain as I might, and I'll probably still be able to count on two hands the number of people I've ever known in any shape or form that have died. Literally no-one I'm close to has died - ever - yet.

I don't get it - as this is so far from what other peoples experience of this seems to be that I'm beginning to think "You want a long life - stick by me":rotfl: and you'd better want it - as you're going to get it anyway.

Mygawd - I just hope that doesnt apply to me personally - as a long life is one of my definitions of Nightmare. That and a society that turned anti-feminist and put us all down (yep...I shall be watching final episode of 2nd series of "The Handmaids Tale" again tonight:rotfl:).
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I know several people who have died before sixty, three who died in their thirties and forties and two young people who committed suicide (one aged 34, one aged 19).

On the other hand, I know of several people who have reached their eighties and nineties and also two who lived to be 101 (both of these lived on their own until they were 100).

Some people draw the short straw.

I personally would not mind being 101 as long as I could still look after myself.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I want to live to see my children reach settled adulthood as a minimum. I want to be there for them when they start their careers, fall in love, marry and have babies. I'd really like to get to know my grandchildren and have them remember me. Unfortunately I fear the combination of having my children when older than average and having family that live to a lower age than average means I won't get my wish which makes me very sad.

A couple of my grandparents made it to 80, although I wouldn't say their quality of life was great for years before that. However despite none of them dying of cancer I've had four aunts and uncles die of it in their 50s, along with another couple survive it in their 50s. Now I'm in my 40s that doesn't seem so far off and I'll be making sure I keep paying my life assurance premiums to ensure my children are financially taken care of.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • lincroft1710
    Options

I'm in my 60's and, rack my brain as I might, and I'll probably still be able to count on two hands the number of people I've ever known in any shape or form that have died. Literally no-one I'm close to has died - ever - yet.

So what about all the people you were at school with, worked with, your teachers? Aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, grandparents?

Already this year 6 people I've known have died including 3 of my teachers, a former neighbour and a former work colleague.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Some people "beat the average" one way or another on the "how many people one knows that died young".

I don't get it - as this is so far from what other peoples experience of this seems to be that I'm beginning to think "You want a long life - stick by me":rotfl: and you'd better want it - as you're going to get it anyway.

Mygawd - I just hope that doesnt apply to me personally - as a long life is one of my definitions of Nightmare. That and a society that turned anti-feminist and put us all down (yep...I shall be watching final episode of 2nd series of "The Handmaids Tale" again tonight:rotfl:).

You still have both parents alive? And all your aunts and uncles?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure