LTD Company Director Claiming HB - I'm not self-employed though right???

Options
Hello!

In the last couple of months my partner and I, have applied for housing benefit and council tax reduction. We are both directors of a limited company (which has a third person outside of our household as a secretary, if that is relevant??), and we are the two only shareholders. A limited company is it's own legal entity, and as directors we are considered employed by this company (as office-holders), though we are exempt from minimum wage. We have been paid in dividends the years that we had profit, and also received late payments from the company which were repayments for assets brought into the company at it's start. This year the company has taken a turn for the worse, a lot of work getting pushed months ahead, or payments coming in late, and we have not had any profits yet (though we expect this to change as we head towards Q4), so we have not been able to be paid dividends, hence the benefits being needed so we aren't kicked out of our home.

OK, phew, backstory done, here is the question. Our application for benefits was approved and we have been receiving benefits for a few months, however we got a letter today which states "You have not supplied all the details we require to calculate your entitlement" and asking us to fill in a "Self-employment earning information" form. Firstly I don't understand what they mean by us not having supplied the details as we gave them all the information on any directors remunerations, with our bank statements showing these going as far back as a year and a half. It seems strange that they would have calculated our benefits and been paying this to us for a few months if this was the case. My main issue is that they want us to fill in this self-employment form, when we are not self-employed. The reason I worry is that at least where HMRC is concerned if you are self-employed ANY earnings get counted as income, even if you are selling some old junk or other personal items on Ebay. I'm not sure if this is the case with the council? I do sell a bit on Ebay (since our HB don't cover our full rent and bills by a long shot, we have had to sell personal stuff we didn't want to sell). I wouldn't consider this income seeing as it's all personal items, but it did amount to a bit of money (about 2k) though this isn't something that we can keep doing since we will run out of stuff in our home to sell.

Our earnings since applying haven't changed at all, so the numbers are the same, it's just that I'm really not comfortable filling in something saying I am self-employed. I've heard that if the council considers you self-employed you are required to show your bank statements and accounts every 3 months. I have nothing to hide, but this seems both stressful and invasive. Not to be a tinfoil hatter, but I don't think the government needs to know every small detail about my life.

Does any one have any experience claiming benefits as a director? I have had a look through these forums but none of the cases are quite like ours, as some people have been the sole director or owner of the company which indeed does class them as self-employed in the eyes of the LA, however since we are 2 directors, though in the same household (unmarried) I'm not sure how this works. It's a very specific case, so I understand there may not be any clear cut answer, but I just want to know what I should be providing them to keep my benefits coming in, and if there may be any downfall to having them class me and my partner as self-employed.

Any advice is appreciated, I don't want to do anything wrong, I'm just really confused as our circumstances are not as ordinary as what you can find info on online. PS sorry for rambling I don't normally post on forums..

Comments

• Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    heffa_lump wrote: »
    Hello!

In the last couple of months my partner and I, have applied for housing benefit and council tax reduction. We are both directors of a limited company (which has a third person outside of our household as a secretary, if that is relevant??), and we are the two only shareholders. A limited company is it's own legal entity, and as directors we are considered employed by this company (as office-holders), though we are exempt from minimum wage. We have been paid in dividends the years that we had profit, and also received late payments from the company which were repayments for assets brought into the company at it's start. This year the company has taken a turn for the worse, a lot of work getting pushed months ahead, or payments coming in late, and we have not had any profits yet (though we expect this to change as we head towards Q4), so we have not been able to be paid dividends, hence the benefits being needed so we aren't kicked out of our home.

OK, phew, backstory done, here is the question. Our application for benefits was approved and we have been receiving benefits for a few months, however we got a letter today which states "You have not supplied all the details we require to calculate your entitlement" and asking us to fill in a "Self-employment earning information" form. Firstly I don't understand what they mean by us not having supplied the details as we gave them all the information on any directors remunerations, with our bank statements showing these going as far back as a year and a half. It seems strange that they would have calculated our benefits and been paying this to us for a few months if this was the case. My main issue is that they want us to fill in this self-employment form, when we are not self-employed. The reason I worry is that at least where HMRC is concerned if you are self-employed ANY earnings get counted as income, even if you are selling some old junk or other personal items on Ebay. I'm not sure if this is the case with the council? I do sell a bit on Ebay (since our HB don't cover our full rent and bills by a long shot, we have had to sell personal stuff we didn't want to sell). I wouldn't consider this income seeing as it's all personal items, but it did amount to a bit of money (about 2k) though this isn't something that we can keep doing since we will run out of stuff in our home to sell.

Our earnings since applying haven't changed at all, so the numbers are the same, it's just that I'm really not comfortable filling in something saying I am self-employed. I've heard that if the council considers you self-employed you are required to show your bank statements and accounts every 3 months. I have nothing to hide, but this seems both stressful and invasive. Not to be a tinfoil hatter, but I don't think the government needs to know every small detail about my life.

Does any one have any experience claiming benefits as a director? I have had a look through these forums but none of the cases are quite like ours, as some people have been the sole director or owner of the company which indeed does class them as self-employed in the eyes of the LA, however since we are 2 directors, though in the same household (unmarried) I'm not sure how this works. It's a very specific case, so I understand there may not be any clear cut answer, but I just want to know what I should be providing them to keep my benefits coming in, and if there may be any downfall to having them class me and my partner as self-employed.

Any advice is appreciated, I don't want to do anything wrong, I'm just really confused as our circumstances are not as ordinary as what you can find info on online. PS sorry for rambling I don't normally post on forums..
    Question. Are you running a business?

If yes, why are you claiming benefits.
  • heffa_lump
    heffa_lump Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Question. Are you running a business?

If yes, why are you claiming benefits.

As I mentioned above the company took an unforeseen turn and we have not been able to get paid yet this year. There is no reason why someone who runs a business can not claim HB. Seems like you didn't really read my post though or you wouldn't have asked either of your questions.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You might like to have a read of this thread:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5622138

Check back in the morning for more replies. I will try and do some research for you.
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    So according to the HB/CTB Guidance manual W2.316

you are an employed earner.

W2.316 Office holders, such as company directors and others whose income tax is payable under Schedule E, are liable for Class 1 contributions in the same way as employees. They are therefore employed earners, and should be assessed as such.
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    And as regards capital in the company it seems that it is disregarded (hope I've read it correctly)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/213/part/6/crossheading/capital/made

particularly nos 5 - 8

As regards the self employment form they sent I would telephone and say that you are not self employed so do not need to complete this.

Since some of the call handlers may not be experienced in this then say you have done some research and believe you should be treated as an employed earner and the capital/assets of the company disregarded. Ask to speak to a manager/supervisor or ask for a call back when they have looked into it.

Please come back and let us know how you get on.

I hope your business picks up soon.
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is the issue with council tax benefit only? Each council now sets its own rules for CTB, and many councils have started to follow the UC guidance which ignores Ltd company structure and treats them as self employed (and set a minimum income floor too).

As pmlindyloo says, for housing benefit you should be treated as an employed earner
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The reason I worry is that at least where HMRC is concerned if you are self-employed ANY earnings get counted as income, even if you are selling some old junk or other personal items on Ebay.

Whoever told you that is wrong. Selling personal stuff is NOT regarded as income by HMRC at all.
  • heffa_lump
    heffa_lump Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    As regards the self employment form they sent I would telephone and say that you are not self employed so do not need to complete this.

Since some of the call handlers may not be experienced in this then say you have done some research and believe you should be treated as an employed earner and the capital/assets of the company disregarded. Ask to speak to a manager/supervisor or ask for a call back when they have looked into it.

Please come back and let us know how you get on.

I hope your business picks up soon.

Thank you so much for all the info, it has been very helpful! I am writing to them now to clarify the above you mentioned. Honestly I don't mind if the companies capital is counted even, as there really isn't much there at the moment. I just don't want to have to be showing the fulls ins and outs of the business every 3 months, as this is what I have understood self-employed people have to do.

On question I have, you mentioned "directors and others whose income tax is payable under Schedule E" I am not sure what Schedule E is? I will try to have a search around to see if I can better understand it, just to really make sure this is relevant to us!

Thank you again for the help! I will let you know what they say.
  • heffa_lump
    Options
    Just an update on this!

I emailed my the benefits people and explained the situation citing HB/CTB Guidance manual W2.316 and they accepted that I am indeed not self employed and did not need to fill in the self employed form. They did however ask to see any payments of dividends made to myself since I started receiving benefits, which I complied with, and as a show of good faith I even let them see my company accounts, so they could be assured I was not hiding any money there (though this was not required). All in all it was cleared up very quickly and they were very understanding.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    On question I have, you mentioned "directors and others whose income tax is payable under Schedule E" I am not sure what Schedule E is? I will try to have a search around to see if I can better understand it, just to really make sure this is relevant to us!

Thank you again for the help! I will let you know what they say.

It was essentially how employment income was taxed. Doesn't actually exist anymore since tax laws were rewritten - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schedular_system_of_taxation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure