MSE News: Benefits cap comes into force

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    poppy10 wrote: »
    The DT forum is hidden to non-logged in users. So if they put this discussion in there then anyone who clicked the link from the newsletter would just hit a login screen.

There are many more people subscribed to the MSE newsletter than are registered in the forums. All links from MSE news always go to one of the publicly accessible subforums which can be browsed without logging in, even if they wouldn't normally belong there

but if we the members do this our post get moved...simple point
  • hanlou007
    hanlou007 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Now all they need to do is half these amounts and we might be getting somewhere.......fed up of hearing about the children who will be pushed in poverty blah blah blah !! If half the parents stopped all their luxurys (fags/booze/IPhones/Sky TV) etc etc. then they'd have a lot more disposable income (sorry disposable benefits).....
  • clemmatis
    clemmatis Posts: 3,168 Forumite
    Options
    Are they taking the P? I work 40 hours a week and get £250 and pay tax and insurance on that.
    Ps. If I put how I really feel I will get a ban from the site.

£350 and £500 are maximum amounts, including child benefit and housing benefit. Hence the word cap.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    jobdone1 wrote: »
    Inflation. Ah yes that little joke. Based on buying cameras and things that are mainly not bought on a daily basis. Look at air fares that had an effect on inflation most min wage working people unable to travel by car to work let alone go on holiday. An extra couple of pounds an hour makes very little difference to inflation in my view but makes a huge difference to the working class.:beer:

Not really thought it through have you. Raising the minimum wage would increase the cost of everything and wipe out any benefit of the increase. If you were to increase the wage of supermarket workers by a couple of pounds an hour where do you think the money will come from to pay for it? shopping bills will increase. Raise the wage of airline staff by a couple of quid an hour and holiday costs will increase, raise the wage of teachers, nurses, policemen, firemen etc by a couple of quid an hour and taxes will have to rise to pay for it. It's a never ending cycle.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    Not really thought it through have you. Raising the minimum wage would increase the cost of everything and wipe out any benefit of the increase. If you were to increase the wage of supermarket workers by a couple of pounds an hour where do you think the money will come from to pay for it? shopping bills will increase. Raise the wage of airline staff by a couple of quid an hour and holiday costs will increase, raise the wage of teachers, nurses, policemen, firemen etc by a couple of quid an hour and taxes will have to rise to pay for it. It's a never ending cycle.

I think things through all the time, I'm afraid greed has caused this problem of the workers not getting a fair living wage. Take private rents for example what are ordinary people to do if the big guns won't pay a fair wage and the government won't support answer that. Simple
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    I for one hope that the Benefit Cap will be affecting the wife and brood of the recently departed for Jordan Abu Hamza, who left them here to be provided for by the British Taxpayer.

I have heard that they may all be returning to Jordan as well, so maybe the Benefit Cap is working already to the advantage of the taxpayer.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I think things through all the time, I'm afraid greed has caused this problem of the workers not getting a fair living wage. Take private rents for example what are ordinary people to do if the big guns won't pay a fair wage and the government won't support answer that. Simple

If you can't afford the rent then find somewhere else to live, the landlord will soon get the message and lower it.
    If we were all paid a minimum wage of £10k a week you can be sure that your food bill will be £4k and your rent would be £4k a week too, its all relevant in the end.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    If you can't afford the rent then find somewhere else to live, the landlord will soon get the message and lower it.
    If we were all paid a minimum wage of £10k a week you can be sure that your food bill will be £4k and your rent would be £4k a week too, its all relevant in the end.

I'm not speaking for my self with regards to rent but i am in support of people that are being forced to struggle or move. Its sounds simple but in many cases this is not.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not speaking for my self with regards to rent but i am in support of people that are being forced to struggle or move. Its sounds simple but in many cases this is not.

In principle, yes, but this raises other problems.
    The DWP did some research into how people actually get jobs in the end - not how they're compelled try to - and found that friends and family were a large factor.
    If you've now moved out of the area, suddenly all your support is gone, and you become less likely to gain employment.

I note also that some disabled people - those not in the support group of ESA - who have lifelong conditions, and are never expected to be able to work by the DWPs own assessment are also hit, if they have high housing cost.
    This may cause real issues as they can't get support from neighbours they know, or family, if they moved.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you've now moved out of the area, suddenly all your support is gone, and you become less likely to gain employment.

Surely you best chance to get a job is to move where the jobs are. Most people complaining they can't find a job on the forums say that it is because there are no jobs where there are. The issue of family is only relevant if they rely on parents to look after the children, that assuming the parents can look after the children, but then in that case, why are there so many single parents who say there are no jobs where there are anyway?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure