Furniture not arrived yet

Options
Good Morning all

Around 6 weeks ago I purchased a chair in a local and reputable furniture store. I paid in full by credit card, I have full confidence in the store. I was promised it would be available in 4 weeks time. This has since been extended by 2 more weeks,and hopefully will arrive next week. As I already have a working but untidy chair, I am happy to wait.

Was wondering though, how I would stand if the delay is extended till say the end of 2019?
At what point could I consider asking for a refund of my money,and looking elsewhere?

As i say, i am happy to wait for now, just trying to research possibilities of the delay is extended.

Merry Christmas

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Was there a contractual delivery date, or merely an estimate? (I'm guessing the latter - I suspect they didn't promise, rather they expected [it to be available in 4 weeks]).

You could contact them (in writing - email is OK) and advise them that time is of the essence, that the delay versus promise date is an annoyance, and that you require delivery pre-Christmas 2019. Once this is made clear to them, if delivery still doesn't happen in time then you have a clearer route to demanding a refund due to breach of contract. (It also means a Section 75 claim may be easier to pursue if the business decline a refund).
  • The_Rainmaker
    Options
    Contact them have a chat and see what they say. You might want to give them a cut off date when they will refund if fails to appear. Then send them an email to confirm your chat.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    (It also means a Section 75 claim may be easier to pursue if the business decline a refund).

No need for S75.

There is a simple non receipt chargeback available.
    Life in the slow lane
    43722 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for these replies, which I will be working with. I will wait another week, then give the company plenty of written notice to complete the transaction. Likely you are correct DoaM, they said expected, I heard promised.

Obrigado
  • DoaM
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    No need for S75.

There is a simple non receipt chargeback available.

Whilst you are correct, chargeback is a scheme operated by VISA and MasterCard; Section 75 is a legal right (Consumer Credit Act 1974). It is feasible for a supplier to challenge a chargeback and get any monies returned to them - Section 75 gives greater protection.

I agree that the OP should attempt a chargeback first, but S75 should remain in the armoury. :)
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Whilst you are correct, chargeback is a scheme operated by VISA and MasterCard; Section 75 is a legal right (Consumer Credit Act 1974). It is feasible for a supplier to challenge a chargeback and get any monies returned to them - Section 75 gives greater protection.

I agree that the OP should attempt a chargeback first, but S75 should remain in the armoury. :)

If a chargeback is rejected and it falls under the s75 remit. Then the card provider should then take that route without any further action by the card holder.
    That is how we work it. :)
    Life in the slow lane
  • DoaM
    Options
    And I would hope all providers would do likewise ... however I somewhat suspect they'd need to be prodded in that direction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure