storage heater/economy 7 queries

Options

Comments

• ash169
    ash169 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    i have switched on my heater by the wall changed the time and heating seating and it still does not work wat am i doing wrong?

you may have a faulty electric meter as i have just found out that my heaters were live during the day but not at nite and it should be the other way around. so i called up my supplier and had my meter changed and now i am reclaiming as i have bin over chared by 4 different companys for electric!
  • ash169
    ash169 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    kris230376 wrote: »
    Hi, I am under freezing conditions since 4 days. here is the stroy and thanks for the patience to listen, read.

i moved to a new flat last week and the flat has night storage heaters(E7). i have never used this before.since 4 weeks the house is freezing. there are 2 heaters one in living and one in bed room.

1. There are 3 controls in each of the heaters. Output,input and comfort.

i was browsing interenet for storage heaters and found output and input but not comfort. For each control, 3 is only maximum(some of the articles in internet had 6).

I keep the bear minium output that is 1 when i start in the morning and when i get back in the evening i will increase little bit. i kept input on 2 and comfort is also 2. i am not sure if this is best setting so that the house can be warm.

please can some suggest me the best possible settings so that my house can be warm.

Thanks in advance

your input shud be set around the medium mine go form 1-9 and mine is on 6 and output should be complety switched off as this jus throws the heat out it doesnt store the heat as it should and slowly release it. hope this helps x
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    kris230376 wrote: »
    Hello group, any help with my query is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

If you can find the make and model number you may be able to find instructions on the internet.

The basic principle is to store the maximum heat you have the input as high as possible(3 in your example)

While you are not in the property you need to set the output as low as possible(1 in your example - unless it goes to off)

When you return you set the output as high as needed.

Bear in mind that storage heaters 'leak' heat - especially the older models - so it is probable that you will 'run out' of heat at some time in the evening.

No idea on the 'comfort setting'.

If you post a picture on here, someone may recognise the heater.
  • marcswan
    Options
    Hi, this is my first post, and after looking through this forum for a while I think my energy situation may warrant a direct question to any of the forum posters who have a lot more knowledge than I do. So here goes...
    I have just bought a 4 bed house (formerly two houses)which is to be split back into two holiday cottages but left as 1 house with an interconnecting doorway, therefore I can rent it out as a four bed or separately as two, two beds on a weekly basis. The current gch is knackered, all rads need replacing aswell as the boiler.
    I was going to replace it all with gas and a new boiler but then i thought about electric, I could turn one side of the house right down at the flick of a switch when its not in use instead of going round turning all the radiators down (unless of course I got an independent boiler for each cottage, but then this may cause problems for those renting the whole thing) and it would be cheap and easy to install as well as being able to control each room at various temps at various times of the day, PERFECT I thought...... until I started reading the threads on this forum which everyone seems to regard gas as the better option.
    Now I dont really know when my guests will be using there electricity as this is my first holiday let project, but I should imagine that they wont be thinking about being energy efficient, so I was thinking of a slow release e10 storage heater system which I am led to believe will keep the houses warm for most of the day anyhow. Another factor (which im not sure is relevant) is the fact that I obviously plan to sell them on at some stage, but I should imagine in some time around the 5 - 10 year mark, so maybe an electric system may make them a difficult property to sell on?.
    So sorry about the amount of parameters within the question but Please help someone, I simply cant decide which is going to be the correct choice as the wrong one could end up costing me dear!
  • peeveezee
    Options
    Another alternative to storage heaters is electric thermostatically controlled radiators. They only come on when you need them, rather than during the cheaper tariff periods when you don't necessarily need the heat and they also look nicer than bulky storage heaters.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    peeveezee wrote: »
    Another alternative to storage heaters is electric thermostatically controlled radiators. They only come on when you need them, rather than during the cheaper tariff periods when you don't necessarily need the heat and they also look nicer than bulky storage heaters.

Just about every £30 oil filled radiator has a thermostat.

However as stated frequently, it doesn't matter if you have a £20 radiator or an electric radiator system costing £thousands, they all give out exactly the same amount of heat for the electricity consumed; and there is no more expensive way of heating a property.
  • bov
    bov Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Need to upgrade my old manual storage heaters and want the latest high tech solutions - ie fans, central temp control, timed vent control with zones etc. What options do I have in the UK? Any URLs?

Cheers.
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Options
    marcswan wrote: »
    Hi, this is my first post, and after looking through this forum for a while I think my energy situation may warrant a direct question to any of the forum posters who have a lot more knowledge than I do. So here goes...
    I have just bought a 4 bed house (formerly two houses)which is to be split back into two holiday cottages but left as 1 house with an interconnecting doorway, therefore I can rent it out as a four bed or separately as two, two beds on a weekly basis. The current gch is knackered, all rads need replacing aswell as the boiler.
    I was going to replace it all with gas and a new boiler but then i thought about electric, I could turn one side of the house right down at the flick of a switch when its not in use instead of going round turning all the radiators down (unless of course I got an independent boiler for each cottage, but then this may cause problems for those renting the whole thing) and it would be cheap and easy to install as well as being able to control each room at various temps at various times of the day, PERFECT I thought...... until I started reading the threads on this forum which everyone seems to regard gas as the better option.
    Now I dont really know when my guests will be using there electricity as this is my first holiday let project, but I should imagine that they wont be thinking about being energy efficient, so I was thinking of a slow release e10 storage heater system which I am led to believe will keep the houses warm for most of the day anyhow. Another factor (which im not sure is relevant) is the fact that I obviously plan to sell them on at some stage, but I should imagine in some time around the 5 - 10 year mark, so maybe an electric system may make them a difficult property to sell on?.
    So sorry about the amount of parameters within the question but Please help someone, I simply cant decide which is going to be the correct choice as the wrong one could end up costing me dear!

I wouldn't try to heat a holiday let with storage heaters. Most people don't understand how they work and will set the wrongly and complain that they are cold. Due to the way they work, you won't be able to get extra heat for your tennants until next day because if they haven't charged up there will be no heat.

I would also assume that you will be mainly using the holiday lets in summer, now in the uk you may actually get cold days, with storage heaters you have to decide the night before whether to put them on or not so again you risk very cold or very hot guests and not a lot you can do about it.

I would say that gas would be the best option, it is very controllable and you can have a switch on the boiler to enable you to turn the whole property off, and you can get some pretty sophisticated thermostat/timer devices now too. For the sort of sporadic use you will have they will be more controllable and cheaper.

If you aren't savvy electric heating is very expensive and not always effective. You will be paying the bill so if your guests boost the storage heaters in the afternoon you will pay for it.

If you really want to use electric you might be best with some none e7 panel heaters with a thermostat dial and an on/off switch, that will be controllable but potentially very expensive. In a holiday let you won't just put a jumper on, you'll crank up the heating!
  • samtheman1k
    Options
    Why not just use a zone control system for your GCH with independant thermostats/timers, then you can turn off one side of the house instantly as you desire.
  • sasuke
    Options
    We have similar problems to this, in that we used to pay ~£50 per month for energy and when we asked for an overview of what we owed (to see if our direct debit amount was about right) we found we owed £650 for 6 months' electricity. It turnes out that we use £120 per month and I have no idea how - I'm reading these forums to try to work it out!

My question is: If the storage heater has no controls whatsoever (apart from on/off at the wall) is it possible for it to be on during the day? Occasionally they feel very hot and although I know they're supposed to be dissipating energy, it seems like they're on during the day as well....

Does anyone know of other appliances (laptops, kettles, etc) that might really inflate an economy seven bill?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure