We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018

Options

Comments

• Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been checking and watering the seeds I planted last week, the ones in the house. The cape thingys haven't germinated yet, but the cucumber, courgette and big tomatoes have. Will go upstairs shortly and check on the peppers, chilli peppers and cherry tomatoes.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 April 2018 at 9:29AM
    Options
    Was supposed to rain here yesterday, but didn't so managed half a day planting radishes and fixing up the old greenhouse. Rescued some bluebells that a badger had dug up and top dressed a load of herb pots

Today should be mild & dry again, so more tidying up screwing fixing plates into the greenhouse

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Jazee
    Options
    Cherry tomatoes have germinated too, nothing for the peppers and chilli peppers yet but they normally take longer.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Didn't do quite what I had planned as it rained here most of yesterday and today so I didn't feel like being outside and getting wet. However, I washed all the capillary matting in the greenhouse (not in the washer in the house but one we use for rugs from the horses), dodged the rain as the greenhouse is not waterproof yet. Set up a deep bench so I can put in the seeds when they have germinated and found a piece of ridged plastic which fitted to act as a cover. tided away some pots and threw away some plants from last year that had died - i did say (I think) that I didn't do much last year so it's going to be a huge tidy up this year as well as trying to grow things.

It's looking promising in the utility room, I think there may be some activity on the germination front - will know more tomorrow. There's so much in there, every surface that was clear now has seeds on it - but the washing has started to back up.:(
  • zafiro1984
    Options
    Yes germination has started:- very tiny green bits of rocket, toms, cabbage, leeks, brussels french beans and even the peas are showing, plus there is activity on the shallots and onions which I put in modules as it was so wet and soggy outside. I need to get them all off heat and into the greenhouse tomorrow. - today I have to stay indoors as I'm waiting for a phone call from the Royal Brompton Hosp.

This PM I think I'll start sowing the flower seeds. Our garden is very simple. It's too large to have a conventional garden, its just trees and grass but I do miss flowers so I do a load of tubs which are dotted about near the house.
  • Jazee
    Options
    More germination here too, and I've planted beetroot, onion, spring onion, and turnip seeds. Also some more chard and spinach. There are tiny strawberries too.

Garden much tidier too.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Germination has started - rocket in two different beds.
    One runner bean has shot up - three leaves. Other 11 seeds nothing yet! It has been 9 days now.
    Big toms - 1 germinated
    Cherry TOMS - 3 germinated
    Courgettes - none, not a dicky bird yet
    Butternut squash - nothing yet
    Beetroot - nothing yet
    Carrots, spring onions and spinach nothing yet.

Have been given some of the seeds a stint in the airing cupboard.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • zafiro1984
    Options
    Pricking out now, Hispi cabbage, brilliant brussels,
    I need to start pricking out the leeks today

I'm using loads of fleece in the greenhouse as several panes are broken and DH hasn't got round to replacing them yet. I could use part of a polytunnel but old habits die hard as I've always used the greenhouse and if I change and use the polytunnel I have a feeling that my DH will use it as an excuse to put 'mending the greenhouse' to the bottom of his 'must do' list:)
  • Jazee
    Options
    I ended up the other day cutting the grass with shears as it's still too wet for the mower. Hope I don't have to do that again.

Amazed at the courgettes indoors, just 12 days since planting and they are 6 inches tall. 11 plants though, I really don't need that many.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Jazee wrote: »
    I ended up the other day cutting the grass with shears as it's still too wet for the mower. Hope I don't have to do that again.

Amazed at the courgettes indoors, just 12 days since planting and they are 6 inches tall. 11 plants though, I really don't need that many.

I am green with envy. 12 days since planting, nothing. What is your secret?
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family