Are car insurers legally obliged to provide Named Driver information?

Options
My daughter has been the named driver on her husband's car for about 9 years. She never made a claim. She has been the sole driver for the last 2-3 years.

Divorce proceedings are ongoing.

My daughter's solicitor persuaded husband to giver her the car.

She now needs to insure the car. Details:Ford C-Max Estate 1.6, 5dr, 2009. WhatCar buy trade evaluation: £4,200

Up until now, husband has been trying to hold back as much help and information as possible.

On that basis, I have some questions below.

Some details might be sketchy, or even incorrect. I need to do everything by WhatsApp because I have hearing difficulties. But I can seek clarification on specific points if necessary.

---
Q1: Is husband legally obliged to inform wife of the names of his previous insurers? (So that she can ask them for Named Driver (ND) info, such as no claims by Named Driver.)
---
Q2: Are husband's insurers legally obliged to provide wife with ND info?
---
Husband told daughter that last (current?) insurer was Sainsburys Bank. Daughter phoned them. During course of conversation, SB said that she was "high risk", and would quote £4,000.

An online quote from Brightside based on same info was £1,000

Q3: I'm wondering if husband has been falsifying info to Sainsburys? Objectively, for the car details shown above (and with no claims in 9 years), how can it be possible to arrive at a quote of £4,000?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Q1: Is husband legally obliged to inform wife of the names of his previous insurers? (So that she can ask them for Named Driver (ND) info, such as no claims by Named Driver.)

No.
    Q2: Are husband's insurers legally obliged to provide wife with ND info?

no. Their relationship is with the policyholder.
    Q3: I'm wondering if husband has been falsifying info to Sainsburys? Objectively, for the car details shown above (and with no claims in 9 years), how can it be possible to arrive at a quote of £4,000?

You can wonder as much as you like but it wont achive anything.

A quote of £4000 is an insurance company's way of telling you that they do not want you. A passive blocker. A common business method used in many industries.

Why do you need proof of NCD? It only belongs to one person and can only be applied to one vehicle. This will be the husband. Your daughter needs to start her own.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Q1. His policy so its his personal data.

Q2. Its his policy and his personal data, Your daughter doesnt have any no claims to carry forward. The policy holder earns the no claims.

Q3, His insurer may quote that, my insurer wanted £7000 to add my daughter to my £300 policy. But she only paid £700 on her own policy.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I see the point of asking, because many insurers do give an introductory discount to a named driver, and this can be as high as if it was a real NCD. But it would only apply if you took out a policy with that company.
    But they have already said that she is high risk and don't want her, so there would be no point in asking even if you could get the information.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,768 Forumite
    edited 20 February 2019 at 9:49AM
    Options
    MySonEd wrote: »
    My daughter has been the named driver on her husband's car for about 9 years.
    She has been the sole driver for the last 2-3 years.

You daughter might want to be discreet about those facts. Certainly she will want to be wary about sharing them with a potential insurer. What she has effectively done is called fronting (Google it for further info) and underwriters take a very dim view of it.
  • MySonEd
    MySonEd Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    You daughter might want to be discreet about those facts. Certainly she will want to be wary about sharing them with a potential insurer. It is called fronting (Google it for further info) and underwriters take a very dim view of it.

I was momentarily puzzled by your response, because I was aware that "fronting" is an attempt to get a lower premium by providing FALSE info.

None of my info above was false, but maybe there's a statement missing. A better statement might have been:
    My daughter has been the named driver on her husband's car for about 9 years. For the first 6 years, she drove the car for 80% of its usage. For the last 3 years, she was the sole driver.

Does that address the issue?

I'm still puzzled that you suggest that drivers should "be wary about sharing them with a potential insurer." I thought ALL info had to be shared with a potential insurer, under the (justifiable, IMO) threat of legal action.

Thanks.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm still puzzled that you suggest that drivers should "be wary about sharing them with a potential insurer." I thought ALL info had to be shared with a potential insurer, under the (justifiable, IMO) threat of legal action.

Thanks.

What MEM is saying is your D is named driver but has been using it majority of the time as though she is the main driver.

What they mean by "Certainly she will want to be wary about sharing them with a potential insurer" is dont go sharing the facts with potential insurers eg dont say Oh I'm a named driver but I do most of the driving.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Maybe that disclosure is why the insurer you mentioned previously considers her high risk.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MySonEd
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    What MEM is saying is your D is named driver but has been using it majority of the time as though she is the main driver.

What they mean by "Certainly she will want to be wary about sharing them with a potential insurer" is dont go sharing the facts with potential insurers eg dont say Oh I'm a named driver but I do most of the driving.

That's all clear now.

Thanks.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Your daughter should have been the nominated "main" driver throughout, though that was the responsibility of the policyholder to deal with, and not your daughter

The policyholder will have agreed he was telling the truth about everything in his application including which driver was the main one

So that aspect is not her concern
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,768 Forumite
    Options
    I was momentarily puzzled by your response, because I was aware that "fronting" is an attempt to get a lower premium by providing FALSE info.

None of my info above was false, but maybe there's a statement missing. A better statement might have been:
    My daughter has been the named driver on her husband's car for about 9 years. For the first 6 years, she drove the car for 80% of its usage. For the last 3 years, she was the sole driver.
    Does that address the issue?

Thanks.

As others have already pointed out. As the main driver she should have been the insured with her husband as the named (secondary) driver. This process is used to obtain cheaper coverage for someone that is high risk. (A favourite of parents looking to secure cheaper insurance when their kids learn to drive until the insurance companies got hot with it.)

Whether this was intentional or an oversight is not really relevant. What is relevant is that you are specifically asked who will be the main user of the vehicle when you take out and/or renew the policy. The policy holder was not truthful and you daughter was complicit the deceit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure