DIY Probate

Options
Although I've completed the forms for friends and neighbours in the past, things changed last year, and there are far more to complete. Also I felt that doing this for my late DH would be too upsetting, so I had a free consultation with a solicitor, to discuss fees.

I soon decided that writing my late husband's name a few times wouldn't be as distressing as writing the solicitor's cheque (!), so I downloaded all the forms, and sent everything by registered post last Saturday.

I was heartened to see the cheque was banked on Wednesday, but amazed when I received the Oath today. All I have to do now is visit the solicitor on Monday to swear the Oath, which costs £7, post it back to the Court, and I should get the Grant of Probate in a couple of weeks.

I was advised to use Ipswich, as they have a quicker turn around process. So for anyone debating whether or not to DIY, especially if they're the only Executor, it's not too bad at all. HTH

xx

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    That's the easiest bit.

Doing the enquiries filling in the IHT forms collecting and distributing the assets can vary from a very simple task(very common) to something of increasing complexity.
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    That's the easiest bit.

Doing the enquiries filling in the IHT forms collecting and distributing the assets can vary from a very simple task(very common) to something of increasing complexity.

That may well be, but as I was the sole executor and the estate was below the limit, I didn't have those problems. My post was merely to advise other widows that this wasn't as onerous a task as one might think.

xx
  • ikcdab
    ikcdab Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with the op. My mother in law died on November 16. The will was simple. I did the diy probate and the final grant turned up on 9 January. 54 calendar days from start to finish, and that included Christmas as well. Total cost was £217 to the probate registry and £7 for the oath.
    And of course several hours spent reading up on the forum. Money saving expert really lived up to its name!
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My Mother paid a solicitor to do all this for her when my Dad died (with a Will). She could also have done this easily herself as I have subsequently discovered when dealing with the forms for someone else.

Pity I wasn't living in the country at the time, or she would not have been lining a solicitor's pocket. Yes, not everyone will feel 'capable', but no harm in obtaining the paperwork & taking a look FIRST!
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    My Mother paid a solicitor to do all this for her when my Dad died (with a Will). She could also have done this easily herself as I have subsequently discovered when dealing with the forms for someone else.

Pity I wasn't living in the country at the time, or she would not have been lining a solicitor's pocket. Yes, not everyone will feel 'capable', but no harm in obtaining the paperwork & taking a look FIRST!

I think that's the main thing - to have a look at the paperwork, and see if it's beyond you, or not. I only downloaded the forms on Friday 23rd, and read through the explanatory notes. Then I read through them a few more times.

Posted the forms on Saturday 24th, received the Oath Friday 30th, swore this today, which cost £7, and I've posted it back.

xx
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    I've decided that once I'm mobile again (foot op in a couple of weeks, and then 4 weeks recovery), I'm going to offer my services at the CAB, with my speciality being form completion. :beer:

xx
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SandraScarlett, this may be a silly question, but when the letter of admin/grant of probate arrives, what does it actually say? I mean, does it specify each bank or building society? Or is it a generic type document that can be shown to each financial institution?

My relative had (as far as I know) two small bank accounts, with just enough for one of the bank to request LoA, so do I need to get multiple copies to show each bank or will one one be sufficient?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    SandraScarlett, this may be a silly question, but when the letter of admin/grant of probate arrives, what does it actually say? I mean, does it specify each bank or building society? Or is it a generic type document that can be shown to each financial institution?

My relative had (as far as I know) two small bank accounts, with just enough for one of the bank to request LoA, so do I need to get multiple copies to show each bank or will one one be sufficient?
    It's generic, it certainly doesn't mention any bank or building society.

If there are two accounts, then two copies would probably be more than enough. If you send originals they will usually be returned to you. And if you can take one of the original copies into a local branch, they should be able to copy and certify it on the spot.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »

It's generic, and as they're only 50p each, I ordered 6, so that I'd have sufficient. The solicitor advised one for each place that'll need one, and a few spare.

I'm hoping to get them in the next week or so.
  • Rosie1980
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread. I have gone through probate before for my Dad but as most things went to my Mum it was fairly straight forward. On Tuesday my Nan passed away and I find myself the sole executor of her estate (as Dad was the other executor) and with an IHT400 form to complete as she is over the inheritance tax threshold so I'll need to use Grandad's unused allowance to avoid tax. I've never even sold my own house before let alone anyone else's and then there's all her belongings. Do you get someone in to go around and tell you if there is anything of value or just take a guess?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure