Hardship on UC

Options
2»

Comments

• Bum2018
    Options
    So because my time is mid afternoon friday its likely I wont get any money until monday ?

I ususally get 317. How much is hardship?
  • marliepanda
    Options
    I think this sanctioning of people is absolutely disgusting, it's humiliating enough for those people having to claim benefits.

Welfare is a service that everyone pays into throughout their life, paying a national insurance stamp for when times are difficult they shouldn't have to jump through hoops like this.

Not only the person claiming the benefit suffers the bills are unable to be paid putting them at risk of homelessness.

Not everyone has paid into the system. Regardless, its not a piggy bank. You have to meet criteria to claim the money.

If you don't meet your obligations, you dont get paid. Kinda like if you dont go to work... you dont get paid? Funny that.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    @Bum2018

It's in the link at #2. It says
    The only needs the DM takes into account as placing a claimant or their household
    at risk of being unable to meet their immediate basic and essential needs are
    1. accommodation costs (see L1061)
    2. heating costs (see L1066)
    3. food costs (see L1076) or
    4. hygiene needs (see L1081)1
    Note: These are the basic and essential needs. What varies is what an individual
    may require in order for that need to be met, for example, a sick person may need
    more heating as they may have more complex and more expensive needs.

So you'll know the answer if you jot down the items that you think you'll need for the 4 elements above. They may also ask what you have done / could do to avoid asking for a hardship loan.
    Claimants are expected to investigate potential alternative avenues of support that
    may be available to help themselves and their household1
    . The DM has to consider
    1. what is reasonable in the individual circumstances and
    2. whether claimants have explored alternative support that might be open to
    them
    to help them meet, or partially meet, their household!!!8217;s basic and essential needs.

Suggest you go prepared to answer both sets of questions.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    I think this sanctioning of people is absolutely disgusting, it's humiliating enough for those people having to claim benefits.

Welfare is a service that everyone pays into throughout their life, paying a national insurance stamp for when times are difficult they shouldn't have to jump through hoops like this.

Not only the person claiming the benefit suffers the bills are unable to be paid putting them at risk of homelessness.

So how do you suggest the DWP keep people honest? A claimant refuses to engage with the job advisors - we just keep giving them money? Claimant fails to attend their appointment at the DPW - we just keep giving them money? Claimant fails to demonstrate they've looked for work - we just keep giving them money?

Fail to attend work = no pay. I see no reason why sanctions shouldn't be used but if you've got a better idea I'd love to hear it.

Not everyone pays NI - there are plenty of families that have been unemployed for years and raising children that are equally unemployed and frankly unemployable. Besides which, NI is not a savings pot.
  • skcollobcat10
    Options
    So how do you suggest the DWP keep people honest? A claimant refuses to engage with the job advisors - we just keep giving them money? Claimant fails to attend their appointment at the DPW - we just keep giving them money? Claimant fails to demonstrate they've looked for work - we just keep giving them money?

Fail to attend work = no pay. I see no reason why sanctions shouldn't be used but if you've got a better idea I'd love to hear it.

Not everyone pays NI - there are plenty of families that have been unemployed for years and raising children that are equally unemployed and frankly unemployable. Besides which, NI is not a savings pot.

I know NI is not a savings pot but how long does CB JSA last? Six months I think and then people are taken off it.

I am assuming long term unemployed is means-tested JSA and can go on for years, but, why not give them six months, and if they don't tow the line and take responsibility for themselves, they are taken off it too.

It would cause disruption I know, but people would soon take responsibility for themselves & their families. It seems the way the dwp do it at the moment is very parent like.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I am assuming long term unemployed is means-tested JSA and can go on for years, but, why not give them six months, and if they don't tow the line and take responsibility for themselves, they are taken off it too.

It would cause disruption I know, but people would soon take responsibility for themselves & their families. It seems the way the dwp do it at the moment is very parent like.

You've just described a sanction...

You know, the thing you said was disgusting 2 posts up
  • datec66
    Options
    A decision is made the same day normally after applying on both full and live service. Live u attend jc. Prove last 7 days work search and bank balance and show a need for basic essentials. Then a dm will award it and a phone call from service centre normally 1 hour after that. Rhp is 60% of your sanctioned amount on your last ap daily rate. This daily rate is multiplyed by the number of days from when you apply to the day before your next payment due date so around 170ish depending on number of days
  • Bum2018
    Options
    I wanted to apply a long time ago but was told to wait until reconsideration letter arrived. Then when that arrived i had to wait 5 days to get appointment with work coach as i had to re-engage with her to claim hardship.

So youre telling me the DWP have even scrwed me out of hardship money?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure