'American Style' Samsung Fridge Freezer (merged threads)

Options
My Samsung fridge freezer has started to 'buzz' annoyingly.

The noise stops when I open the fridge door and starts again when I close it.

It's not the vibration of articles in the fridge but it's more likely to do with the cooling system.

I've moved the position of the freezer to see if that works but it doesn't.

Has anyone got any ideas ? :confused:

Shamrock.

Comments

• FirstClassMale
    Options
    Have you got space to get a hand up the back? When you hear the buzzing, you could try reaching round to hold the compressor in case its rattling on it's mountings. Watch out, it might be hot.

Our one is just over 6 months old and the water filter light has come on. We have no intention of changing it just yet as we live in a soft water area
  • shamrockabc
    shamrockabc Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I'll try that Firstclass, thanks.

Shamrock. :beer:
  • lynsiloo
    lynsiloo Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    mine does that too, i dont have the water dispenser (i know stupid me), i just thought it was something to do with the glass shelves, i will go move it and have a look. thanks
  • pmat
    pmat Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    The noise is a design fault with the cooling fan. Due to the porous nature of the insulation around the fan assembly, water condenses in there and freezes up over time. The result is a horrendous buzzing noise made from the revolving fan hitting the ice formation. Eventually the whole unit will freeze solid and the fan will no longer turn and therefore the noise will dissapear. Contact Samsung and demand that the fault be rectified. They don't want to admit any fault with their equipment but have since redesigned the enclosure. If you know of anyone who has a Samsung American fridge freezer tell them to keep an eye out for any development of this problem, so they can get the fault repaired under warranty.

hope this helps
  • Christie
    Christie Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My Samsung fridge freezer has started to 'buzz' annoyingly.

The noise stops when I open the fridge door and starts again when I close it.

I`m experiencing the exact same problem with mine. This is the second samsung American FF I`ve had in 4 years. I had the first replaced under warrenty because they couldn`t get the part now this one is not cooling.
    I`ve emailed Samsung to let them know I`m not happy but it`s not under warrenty now.
  • FirstClassMale
    Options
    Excellent! Fantastic! and other sarcastic comments too.

Oh well, we better wait and see (or should that be hear) if our one goes the same way.
  • pmat
    pmat Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone had any luck with them?

BTW, if this problem does develop and is not rectified, you may experience the freezer defrosting! Sorry but be warned!
  • Christie
    Christie Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I only got an email back saying that they`d received my email so we`ll wait and see what they say. Thanks for the warning Pmat.
  • shamrockabc
    Options
    I contacted Samsung about the 'buzzing' problem, who arranged for a local engineer to call.

The guy was very helpful and showed me the cause of the problem. The drainhole around the fan assembly had frozen which had caused the fan to stop turning . He simply thawed out the frozen ice, broke off some of the polystyrene to make the drain hole bigger , and then replaced the unit.

The assembly was accessible from inside the fridge, and the job took about 10 minutes.

He did say that the Samsung fridge freezer is a very reliable unit and that I should have no further problems. He deals with all the major manufacturers.

Thanks for your help Pmat.:beer:
  • beebee1
    beebee1 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for post. I've noticed that my samsung has been getting noisier over the past year, OH thought it was my imagination until I showed him this thread! He's going deaf anyway so would never notice!! I had a look inside fridge and there is ice in the vent at the back, so I've emailed Samsung as per advice above and hopefully they'll get back with some advice.....:p
    To err is human, to forgive divine!!!:A
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure