Identity Theft- Notice of Correction

Options
Hello,

I recently had my details used by a fraudster to apply for a credit card in my name. I have the credit card and have put a block on it so that it cannot be used, but of course someone has my personal details now and could easily do this again.

One of the Credit Reference agencies have suggested I add a 'Notice of Correction' to my account to say that my identity has been stolen- and I wanted to know if anyone else has done this and would recommend it/avoid it?

The reason I say this is that I've heard applications can automatically be declined if there is a notice of correction on them and that I may find it difficult to apply for a mortgage when I go to do this next year.

If anyone has any experience of having a 'notice of correction' added to your file due to fraud or anything else- I'd love to hear from you.
May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
£2457.92 TCB.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The reason I say this is that I've heard applications can automatically be declined if there is a notice of correction on them and that I may find it difficult to apply for a mortgage when I go to do this next year.
    My understanding is that a notice of correction means that credit applications will all be referred for manual review, rather than being declined automatically as such.

See http://uk.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/how-to-add-a-notice-of-correction-to-your-credit-reports-1356.php:
    adding a notice to your file will slow down all credit application processes, even if the submission you provide is free from errors and is added to your profiles in a timely manner. As automated credit checking systems are unable to properly assess notices of correction, any profile that includes one will have to be reviewed manually.

"Any application you make will have to be referred to the lender's underwriting team to manually assess," Jones said. "Credit scoring systems can't read and interpret prose, so it will delay any application you make. But if this changes a 'no' into a 'yes', you'll probably be happy to wait a little longer for the decision."
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    You could try a notice of correction, this gent did; https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/sep/23/foolproof-way-to-stop-id-fraud-credit-file-thumbprint Maybe you could add a password? This would take time to set up though and you'd need to contact each credit reference agency.

I'm pretty sure that a CIFAS marker (there's different ones) can be added in cases of identity theft; https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/identity-protection/victim-of-impersonation It costs £20 for 2 years, I don't know if you can get this for free though. It just means a lender has to carry out indepth checks if you or anyone else applies for credit using your details.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 November 2018 at 1:22PM
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I would be asking the CRA, in writing, to remove the fraudulent credit account entry from your file. If you have reported the fraud to https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/, then you should have a reference number that you could include in your letter to the CRA. A removed entry is far better than a Notice of Correction :)

If it were me, I would also consider submitting a protective registration on your credit files with CIFAS...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had one years ago along with a password so it couldn't happen again. Didn't slow things down that much. I'd get a telephone call from the credit dept asking me for password.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd suggest getting a protective CIFAS registration to try and prevent this happening again - It won't stop you getting accepted for credit, but this will slow down future applications for credit as lenders are forced to verify that your application is legitimate, but should prevent more fraudulent applications.

A notice of correction may help too, but it would be better in my opinion to get the fraudulent entry removed entirely. Report it to action fraud (if you haven't already) and give the crime reference to the lender and ask them to remove the entry. If they don't, then formally complain.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a NOC on my credit file for years, i added it when my ex left me. It's not caused any issues for me. I've remortgaged my house, taken out credit cards and had 5 cars all on PCP since it was added.
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    Thanks to all for the advice. Seems like going for the notice of correction and the protective CIFA registration are the way to go. Encouraged to hear the of you have had issues getting credit after the NOC too. Thanks again.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport