Extreme electric bill after giving meter reading

Options
Hi everyone,

I am in a frustrating situation with my electric supplier SSE. I moved in a new flat on the 21st of October 2017 and since then apparently we had an estimated charge quarterly which was £20 first and then following £40 and £47. This month we provided meter reading and we got a bill that is £1472.44

We got a small apartment with 2 bedrooms and it is only electricity, we don't have gas supply. This summer we didn't use heating at all but last winter we used heating heavily for about 3-4 months - it was only 1 oil filled electric radiator and was on almost all day.

Now I shared below what they calculated and I wanted to confirm if there is anything I can do about this as we will not be able to pay this at once and I am not sure if the calculation is correct.
Thank you!

(I wasn't able to attach it, apologise!) h ttps://ibb.co/cyqy9U

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Theiax wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am in a frustrating situation with my electric supplier SSE. I moved in a new flat on the 21st of October 2017 and since then apparently we had an estimated charge quarterly which was £20 first and then following £40 and £47. This month we provided meter reading and we got a bill that is £1472.44

We got a small apartment with 2 bedrooms and it is only electricity, we don't have gas supply. This summer we didn't use heating at all but last winter we used heating heavily for about 3-4 months - it was only 1 oil filled electric radiator and was on almost all day.

Now I shared below what they calculated and I wanted to confirm if there is anything I can do about this as we will not be able to pay this at once and I am not sure if the calculation is correct.
    Thank you!

Hi - welcome to the forum. You have just learned a valuable but expensive lesson. Unless you provide your supplier with regular meter readings, you run the risk of getting a large catch up bill when the meter is read. I assume that you provided the supplier with a meter reading when you moved in? Checking your bill should be a simple exercise. You have the right to ask your supplier for time to pay but this will probably prevent you from switching suppliers.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 October 2018 at 2:51PM
    Options
    You need to go right back to when you had a ACTUAL reading, which looks like it was when you first started with them nearly a year ago.

Take those readings away from the present ACTUAL readings and it should give you the total number of day and night kwh you've used since you started with them .

Multiply the number of units by either the day or night tariff to get the cost of the energy that you've used. Work out the number of days standing charge that the period covers and multiply it by your standing charge. That will give you the total cost.(don't forget to add the 5% VAT)

Subtract what you've already paid which looks like its £20+£40+£47 = £107 and you'll end up with a very large number which is what you owe.

Most people would expect to pay around £1000/yr or more for their energy (some more and some a bit less) so even being a bit generous you'd still owe them around £900.

Unfortunately as you haven't been checking your bills against meter readings and getting them corrected at the time you've got a lot of catching up to do.

You may be able to negotiate a payment plan with the energy co but you'll still end up with a payment of around £100-£120 a month to get the arrears paid off as well as another £100-£120 a month or so for your ongoing consumption - total £200 - £240 a month until the arrears are paid.

You do really need to get on top of your consumption by reading the meters more often, at least once a month and making sure that you give these readings to your supplier and make sure that your bills and statements are correct and up to date.

I'm afraid that you are just one of many thousands who come onto this forum with the same problem of getting a horrendous bill because they haven't been reading their meters and checking their bills.

You should also put some effort into reducing your consumption and seeing if you can get onto a better tariff although you'll find it difficult to swap suppliers with arrears of that magnitude - see if your present supplier can offer you a better deal.

The fact that you've only got a small apartment makes no difference if you don't keep an eye on what you are using and making sure that you aren't wasting it
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

here's the bill,

Screenshot-1.png
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 October 2018 at 7:50AM
    Options
    As the bill was based on a previous estimate then it's of no use.

The OP need to find an old bill that has actual readings and work from that.

I'm assuming that he's got his original ACTUAL meter readings from when he moved in and set up his account so he can subtract those from the current ACTUAL readings to find out how much he's used and then calculate what the bill should really be.

It's a classic case of only checking the bills/meters when the ginormous one comes in. Being on a Standard rate doesn't help either as he's paying top prices for his energy as well.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2018 at 8:34AM
    Options
    I used to get email reading reminders from EDF which always prompted me to take a reading. Moved to SSE and on reading this thread, realise I haven't had a reminder since the initial sign-up reading. Now I'm wondering if SSE doesn't send reminders.
    [edit - now found out that SSE expects a reading approx every 3 months]
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Theiax wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Thank you!

did you honestly think that £20 and £40 over the first two quarters (winter months) was correct, or just happy to bung the oil filled rad on all day at the more expensive day rate?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 14 October 2018 at 12:34PM
    Options
    Good advice to get hold of an actual reading even if its the original start reading although suppliers now are happy to ignore these and furnish/guess their own reading.
    Once you have worked out exactly what you have used and found out if they are wrong or right, settle up asap and get switching.
    Two minutes on Uswitch using the day and night figures revealed that you can get that day/night consumption until next November over £250 cheaper with a few other Eco 7 suppliers such as Ebico , Our Energy and Spark, Yorkshire Energy.
    Double check they have`nt transposed the day/night readings or even used the total reading shown on many digital electric meters. . Suppliers do that a lot. Using just one oil filled rad will probably mean you are ok but wise to do the checks
    At the moment your day use is higher than night rate. All electric properties typically use more night rate than day rate.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have NSH's and an immersion heater? If not, then get off E7 onto a single rate tariff. If you do, then use them and not the oil filled rad. It's that that is costing you a fortune, as is obvious from the bill.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Options
    Looking at that bill I have to ask are the day/night readings the wrong way round - have they used the day readings for nighttime and the night readings for daytime, and has whoever read the meter supplied a correct reading?
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    did you honestly think that £20 and £40 over the first two quarters (winter months) was correct, or just happy to bung the oil filled rad on all day at the more expensive day rate?
    Oil radiators tend to be rated at 1 or 2 KWH or even more

so if its 2KWH thats 1420KW night and 2840KW day, so £123.12 for night and £529.09 for day. So the oil heater alone could be over £650 cost - obviously even if they are on all the time they switch off once reached temperature so the cost will be far less. When I used to rent an electric only flat with a prepay meter, the cost was about £40pm in the summer and £200pm in winter as we had oil heaters due to poorly working storage heaters.

The hard lesson is not to rely on estimates, lots of time people assume the plan they are on covers what they use and end up with a big bill when they move or a meter reader calls round. I suppose this is one reason for smart meter roll out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure