PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help to Buy

Options
Hey my partner and I have a new income of about 35k per annum and we wanted to purchase a house and started looking into help to buy scheme. We are apprehensive around the equity loan, we were wondering whether we can pay it back within 5 years when it’s interest free? At that point would I still need to pay back 20% of the current value of the property or how much I borrowed from the government (which ever is the highest).

We are hoping to do this but we were wondering what the likelihood of it actually doing it might be ? We are looking in the ranges of houses within 150k.

Comments

• da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes you can pay it back at any time.

It is based on the value of the house when you make the repayment. The government is hoping that the value will increase and therefore they will receive more than they lent.
  • jonesydave
    Options
    Hi SR11

How much savings do you have towards a deposit? Personally I decided against the equity loan, but that was because I had a sufficient deposit. There are many pros to the equity loan, although there will be increased solicitor costs in the mortgage process as its more work for them. Secondly, you can pay it back at any time, but a minimum of 10% of property value, e.g. 200k house would have to pay back 20k.

Although... as da_rule says it is based on the value of the property, which will mean when you wish to pay % of the equity loan back the house will have to be valued and a solicitor will need to be involved. So although interest free... you will have minimum costs of around 1k and thats if the house price stays the same...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure