Car insurance No Claims Discount

Options
I’ve got insurance with Quote Me Happy and they’ve accepted four years with a pervious insurer (sold car earlier this year). I had insurance with another supplier that resulted in one year no claims, but they won’t accept as the policy expired more then 2 years ago.

Do all insurance companies act like this, penalize for shopping around?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do all insurance companies act like this, penalize for shopping around?
    How are they penalizing you?

What relationship does this other "supplier" have to the previous insurer? i.e. is a second vehicle or same vehicle or chain of vehicles? (owned, sold, bought another etc).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • UserName123
    Options
    the car insurance company is only taking the one company no claims, not all the years.

I’ve had one car, moved insurance after a year and stayed with the other company for 4 years.

So I shopped around and now I’m getting penalized.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 January 2019 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Your post is a little confusing. Let me see if I've got this straight.

You sold a car earlier this year. If you sold it mid insurance year, the period from renewal to sale doesn't count towards NCD - only full years count.
    You've now bought another car, and want to insure it.
    At some point in the past (more than 2 years ago) you had insurance with insurer A and got one year NCD.
    You then took out insurance with insurer B and got 4 years NCD.
    You've had a quote from Quote Me Happy on the basis that you have built up 4 years NCD with insurer B.

The one year NCD with A will have been taken into account when you took out insurance with B. You have a total of 4 years NCD, which is 1 year from A and 3 years from B - were you expecting it to be 1 year + 4 years = 5 years?

The most recent renewal notice from B will show how much NCD you have with them - or if you no longer have the paperwork, call them and ask. While you're on the phone, ask them to send you proof of NCD. That's what the new insurers will base their premiums on.

The policy you had with A is irrelevant now.

You're not being penalised for shopping around. I think there is some confusion as to how NCD works.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • UserName123
    Options
    ^As I said I’ve been panalised for shopping around. I always thought NCD was dependent on the number of years you haven’t claimed, not by just the number of years you haven’t claimed and haven’t changed insurance.

Sounds a bit unfair.
  • UserName123
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry I can’t make it clear.

I got insurance from A and built up 1 year (claimed in the first year). Changed companies to B and got 4 years. So I provided proof from both companies to my new insurance company. They will only accept the policy that expired recently.

If I contact company B and ask them to add on the year insurance from A, will they? They are overseas companies.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry I can’t make it clear.

I got insurance from A and built up 1 year (claimed in the first year). Changed companies to B and got 4 years. So I provided proof from both companies to my new insurance company. They will only accept the policy that expired recently.

If I contact company B and ask them to add on the year insurance from A, will they? They are overseas companies.

If company B haven't already taken into consideration the 1yr NCD from company A 4yrs ago they're not suddenly going to do it now. What have your renewal notices said over the past years ? Assuming your dates are correct and there's been no significant period with no insurance then it appears you've lost a year somewhere but this is nothing to do with shopping around - your current company (B) would still only be offering 4yrs.

What do you mean by overseas companies ? Are you trying to get foreign NCB applied to a UK company ?
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 January 2019 at 5:48PM
    Options
    You're misunderstanding, I think.

You got one year's NCD from insurer A, then moved insurers. I'm assuming that when insurer B quoted, they included that one year NCD? So now you can forget about it, it's included in the NCD offered by insurer B. After a year with insurer B you would have 2 years NCD, after 2 years you would have 3, and so on.

Your new insurer is right not to take account of the 1 year from insurer A - all they're interested in is how much NCD you have right now (after all, you could have had a claim during the intervening period). And according to you, you have 4 years - so that's what their quote should be based on. I think you've confused them by mentioning the 1 year.

Go back to them, with the proof of NCD from your most recent insurers, and ask them to quote on that basis. Or if you're not happy with them, go elsewhere.

And by 'overseas' companies, do you mean they're based outside of the UK, or that you've been living (and driving, and insuring) abroad? How long were you abroad for?
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • UserName123
    Options
    Insurance B didn’t add on the extra year to the insurance policy. So I do have 5 years - it’s just from two providers.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Insurance B didn’t add on the extra year to the insurance policy. So I do have 5 years - it’s just from two providers.

So you've never had the 1yr from Insurance A then - otherwise it would have shown each year in your renewal notice.

Unlikely you're going to be able to address this now
  • John_G_Jones
    Options
    I agree with the others, but if you still aren’t clear I’ll try to write the same thing in another way.

If you have one year bonus with a company and then move to another for a year you would have two years no claims, but this would not appear as one year from each, the second company would list you as having two years when you leave them.

Similarly in your case your second company should have started you with the one existing year from your first company and then added another year on for each year you are with them.

Trying to add on the first company’s bonus when you move would be double counting it.

Are you certain that company two never credited you with that year when you joined?

Remember, a partial year, even eleven months, tends to get you nothing if you leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure