On UC going for a working capability assessment

Options
Hi
I have been on Universal Credit since August 2018. Because of my disabilities I have been asked to attend the working capability assessment. Got my appointment next month.
I am going around in circles as everything I am told or read is contradictory.
I read the lowest amount of working capability, meaning you get extra money however need to join a support group to help find work was scrapped pre 2017. Also that you need 15 points to get the higher payment of £300 or so a month, on this one, you are exempt from working.

So..... I rang my case manager and Universal credit to ask. They stated because Universal credit has taken over or taking over all elements I would be entitled to the lower or higher amount of money should I succeed in passing the examination. The lower amount also contributes towards my national insurance stamp as though I am still working.
You may see now why am confused. Surely case managers are up with the changes, or was working capability assessments completed pre 2017 under a different name.
Can anyone help please, thanks
Shelbee

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 January 2019 at 8:02AM
    Options
    You say you have been on UC since August 2018. Were you on ESA prior to this? If you were on ESA before April 2017, had LCW and have been on Benefit continuously you can get extra money in yourongoi g UC claim. If your claim started after April 2017 you only get extra money if you have LCWRA (equivalent to the old ESA Support Group).

On UC you get Class 3 NI contributions which count towards your State Pension. It doesn’t matter whether you have health limitations or not - anybody receiving UC gets these. This is not the same as if you were working, if employed and earning over £116/week you would have Class 1 contributions and if self employed you would pay Class 2 contributions.

You do not need 15 points to be found to have LCWRA. You simply have to meet at least one of the relevant tests. If you don’t have LCWRA the point scoring system is used to decide if you have LCW.
    https://www.sense.org.uk/get-support/information-and-advice/welfare-benefits/esa/esa-descriptors/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As already advised, it depends on what benefits you had before your UC claim.

Please confirm what benefits you received prior to UC.

If ESA and you had an assessment, what was the outcome ? Were you in WRAG or Support group of ESA immediately before your UC claim ?
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Shelbee
    Options
    Hi
    I was working before I went on UC as had surgery. Now disabled. So on sick , so they go to job centre. On it states unfit for work. Thank you
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,001 Forumite
    Options
    Shelbee wrote: »
    Hi
    I was working before I went on UC as had surgery. Now disabled. So on sick , so they go to job centre. On it states unfit for work. Thank you
    If the decision is LCWRA then you'll receive an extra £328 per month. Any other decision and your money will stay the same.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    OP, have you also looked at whether you may qualify for PIP - only applicable if you disability is going to be long term, not if you're simply recovering from surgery and expect to well again later this year.

Information here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Would suggest that you obtain proper advice about your situation. We can only go on what you are telling us.

We have no idea about what disability you have, whether this is short term or long term. We don't know if you live alone, have housing costs etc etc.

It seems you are confused and worried about what help you can receive from the benefits system. It is therefore essential that you contact an advice service such as Citizens Advice, by phone or face to face, so they can discuss your whole situation.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure