Vanguard Investors - Anyone Using It?

Options
124»

Comments

• webjaved
    webjaved Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The Vanguard Investment will be long term, not sure what I will use it for, but I understand its a long term investment, it definitely can't be a short term investment. Thank you :)
    Save £12k in 2019 #154 - £14,826.60/£12k
    Save £12k in 2020 #128 - £4,155.62/£10k
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,078 Forumite
    Options
    I invest monthly in VLS funds. I put a third of my monthly sum into VLS40 and the remainder in VLS100. My reasoning is that I have two pots to draw on and if I need money in say, 5-10 years' time and the VLS100 hasn't performed well, I'd hope that the VLS40 would have made some returns over that time and I can draw from it and leave the VLS100 alone.
  • webjaved
    webjaved Posts: 618 Forumite
    Options
    I invest monthly in VLS funds. I put a third of my monthly sum into VLS40 and the remainder in VLS100. My reasoning is that I have two pots to draw on and if I need money in say, 5-10 years' time and the VLS100 hasn't performed well, I'd hope that the VLS40 would have made some returns over that time and I can draw from it and leave the VLS100 alone.

Good luck. :)
    Save £12k in 2019 #154 - £14,826.60/£12k
    Save £12k in 2020 #128 - £4,155.62/£10k
  • Cactus_Jack
    Options
    With the possibility of buying a house in 3-5 years, and assuming one already pays into a HTB ISA, and a 100% equities fund for later life, could investing a portion of money into LifeStrategy 60, or 40 be a sensible way to hopefully increase the value of the contributions in this timeframe? If not, what seems to be a sensible route?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    With the possibility of buying a house in 3-5 years, and assuming one already pays into a HTB ISA, and a 100% equities fund for later life, could investing a portion of money into LifeStrategy 60, or 40 be a sensible way to hopefully increase the value of the contributions in this timeframe? If not, what seems to be a sensible route?
    Even though VLS 60 or 40 would be expected to be less volatile than the 100, investing over a 3-5 year period isn't a good idea, so you should stick to cash deposit products if that's when you're likely to need the money.

It may be worth transferring your HTB ISA into a (cash) Lifetime ISA to take up some of the slack, as you can put up to £4K a year in there rather than the lower £2.4K HTB limit, thereby earning significantly more government bonus, although this may be less tempting for those who've already built up a substantial HTB pot....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure