Thoughts on Nationwide?

Options
2»

Comments

• SMCG
    SMCG Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I think they are good. I use the cheque account a lot less but keep it as I get free travel insurance.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I tried them back in 2015 I think (so anything I might say here might be a little outdated)

They do offer great accounts with good interest rates, but back when I joined them, I wasn't keen on their internet banking. They were using the card readers to log into it and it just seemed like a complete and utter farce. Not sure if they still use them, but apart from that they seemed fairly good
  • Hey,

I initially thought the same as you - building society = better for me as a customer
    However, when it came to remortgage at the end of my fixed rate they were a nightmare, they would not allow us to borrow additional funds against the value of our property which we needed to do, to extend the lease on our flat... they did not have a product to suit this so we went elsewhere

Regards
  • swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 867 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    The Flexplus account is pretty good. It's a packaged account which costs £13/month and gives you travel insurance, mobile insurance and breakdown cover. Will also earn 3% on £2.5k, so if kept topped up you get all that cover for around £6/month if you take the interest into account. This also allows you to open a Flex regular online saver which you can save £250/month at 5%. It's particularly a good deal if you open the Flexplus account as a joint account with your partner, you then both get the cover for the same price and you can both open a savings account paying 5%
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    swindiff wrote: »
    The Flexplus account is pretty good. It's a packaged account which costs £13/month and gives you travel insurance, mobile insurance and breakdown cover. Will also earn 3% on £2.5k, so if kept topped up you get all that cover for around £6/month if you take the interest into account. This also allows you to open a Flex regular online saver which you can save £250/month at 5%. It's particularly a good deal if you open the Flexplus account as a joint account with your partner, you then both get the cover for the same price and you can both open a savings account paying 5%

Ditto for us.

It's our main account, so we keep balance above £2500 meaning the benefits cost us less than £7 pm.
    We also benefit from breakdown cover and mobile phone insurance.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Joyce7199
    Options
    I love Nationwide, been with them nearly 3 years, two accounts with them, a FlexPlus which is the hardest to get but I did have to upgrade my FlexOne to get it and I’ve got a personal loan and an overdraft with them. Need to build up my credit more to get a credit card from them although I do have Vanquis and Capital One already.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure