IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE News: Private parking firms failed to fight more than 21,000 appeals

Options

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ignoring isn't a militant approach, with some companies it's an idiotic approach.
  • Computersaysno
    Computersaysno Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I love the way she just simply ignores any comments made. It's inspirational.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Having watched Martin clown around on national TV, I would tend to take any advice from MSE with a pinch of salt.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 June 2018 at 9:08AM
    Options
    Didn't we go through all of this before with MSE, and everything we said was wrong with the "Official" MSE section was ignored.

Either nobody looks at the comments, or the people at MSE Towers don't understand why their advice is so dreadful, and the complete opposite of money saving.

It would be better to replace the official site advice with a link to the main parking ticket forum. That way the people getting directed would have access to information from people who actually know what they are talking about.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Having watched Martin clown around on national TV, I would tend to take any advice from MSE with a pinch of salt.

He's only as good as his research team and the forum contributors - remember he has no financial training or qualifications, but he is a broadcast journalist - so he is well trained to say things that gets people attention. If that attention can then generate revenue for him/the site via affiliation, then all the better.

Many of us have questioned his intentions and credentials for years. A few of us have also seen the much darker and intimidating side to his persona.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had one of these invoices disguised as a fine from Parking Eye. I sent a letter to the owner of the land (with PE on CC merely as a courtesy) setting out my case of why I didn't think there was any contract in place with any 3rd party, and why I thought my contract with them as land owner was on solid ground.

The land owner told me to contact 3rd party (PE) and I politely declined and explained that this was between me (their customer!) and them.

PE then replied to me unsolicited (I didn't ask them to reply or want them to, they are an irrelevance) to tell me that I was wrong in every point of fact and law. Golly, a five page letter and nothing right? Surely some mistake?

Yes, theirs as they then withdrew their invoice without so much as an apology!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    I had one of these invoices disguised as a fine from Parking Eye. I sent a letter to the owner of the land (with PE on CC merely as a courtesy) setting out my case of why I didn't think there was any contract in place with any 3rd party, and why I thought my contract with them as land owner was on solid ground.

The land owner told me to contact 3rd party (PE) and I politely declined and explained that this was between me (their customer!) and them.

PE then replied to me unsolicited (I didn't ask them to reply or want them to, they are an irrelevance) to tell me that I was wrong in every point of fact and law. Golly, a five page letter and nothing right? Surely some mistake?

Yes, theirs as they then withdrew their invoice without so much as an apology!

You played a dangerous game and got lucky. PE have taken over thirty thousand drivers to court over the past few years. They seem to have calmed down of late though.

They have gone as far as the Supreme Court who have upheld their charges.
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    You played a dangerous game and got lucky. PE have taken over thirty thousand drivers to court over the past few years.

I make my own luck. My opening shot across the bows got them on the back foot, hence them admitting defeat without admitting defeat.

The supreme court judgment came after my tangle with PE and didn't actually have any bearing on my case as I was at the "random confetti" end of their mass legal action.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.
    That's reassuring. :D
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    That's reassuring. :D

I don't profess to be an expert but I beat PE at their own game.

TBH they came across as a clueless rabble quoting any old tripe whether relevant to current situation or not so GOK how they win cases. Maybe they have a B team for those that go to court but they clearly have D/E team on the case otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure