Pay Pal unauthorised withdrawal from my bank account

Can anyone help please, I'm desperate.

Cut a long story short. I have 2 payments from Ebay sitting in a PayPal account I had to open in order to receive these payments.
The lowest paying amount was released, I deposited into my account using PayPal's instructions, then checked my account to find they had withdrawn the amount, not deposited it.

I cannot get a straight answer from PayPal, I've called 8 times, they talk in circles but don't answer the question.
Email get a generic response that doesn't answer the question. other than the claim that they paid me.
I have a remaining payment in the account which is on hold, for over 100.00 pounds and am scared to claim it when released in case Pay Pal also withdraw instead of depositing.
My bank won't refund the unauthorised withdrawal until I speak to Ebay, explained the situation, that they tell me they have paid me, now I have to go back to PayPal with all the information provided by the bank and ask again for a refund. I can't do this any more, I'm exhausted and at a point where I'm almost ready to give up on getting paid because it's impossible to resolve. Can anyone advise me on how I might get my money please, I'm desperate.

Comments

• You are not very clear here - who withdrew the money - Paypal or your bank?
    If you by mistake made the transaction the wrong way you should now have double the money (for the smaller transaction) in your Paypal account?
    If the payment was made from your bank account by direct debit you could ask the bank to make an indemnity claim to get your funds back but you can then kiss goodbye to your Paypal account and any money left in it.
  • Thanks for your reply. Looking at my account I see that a payment was made to PayPal for the amount they were supposed to deposit. I looked at my account again this morning and I don't have double the amount, only the payment made to PayPal. It wasn't a direct debit, just a payment taken from my account made to PayPal.
    I called my bank again and they tell me there is nothing they can do as PayPal are a reputable company who have to abide by the same rules as the bank.
    I made a dispute via the resolution centre on PayPal last night and this morning I see the dispute has been closed, but have not had any response from PayPal in response to the dispute.
    I am really worried since I have a 2nd payment of over 100.00 pounds on hold and fearful that should I transfer that amount to my account when it's released, that they will again withdraw instead of depositing and I'm getting nowhere via email, telephone calls and disputes. I just don't know what to do and am about to travel to the USA tomorrow and won't have the time to continually attempt to retrieve my money. I don't know if I should just close my PayPal account to avoid another problem.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 December 2018 at 7:35PM
    Kats,
    You are so difficult to understand that that might be part of the problem - my first reaction to your post is that it will take 5 minutes to work out what this means, and nobody has that time on the telephone.
    It would help if instead of saying "my account" you specified which account every time and instead of saying "they" you specified who you were referring to.
    I have no experience of Paypal but if nothing else works, MCOL is the way to go.
    Good luck.

If the money is in a Paypal account, why do you need to talk to Ebay ?
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    If PayPal has incorrectly Direct debited money from your current account then you can call your bank and claim it back under the direct debit guarantee
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 December 2018 at 11:26AM
    Have you linked your bank account and Paypal account together?

Although you don't want to use it as a funding source, you need to verify it before you can withdraw to it.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-add-my-bank-account-to-my-paypal-account-faq686

Then make sure you are using the correct account to add/transfer/withdraw to.
    https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-withdraw-money-to-my-local-bank-account-faq1189

I would suggest leaving the second payment from eBay alone until you can sort this one out, although my worry is your wording. If you haven't "claimed" the second payment in your Paypal account then it isn't yours yet.
    I have a remaining payment in the account which is on hold, for over 100.00 pounds and am scared to claim it when released in case Pay Pal also withdraw instead of depositing.
  • my worry is your wording. If you haven't "claimed" the second payment in your Paypal account then it isn't yours yet.
    I think that is a perfectly acceptable term for transferring funds from PayPal to a linked account. You can't access cash directly from PayPal!
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I think that is a perfectly acceptable term for transferring funds from PayPal to a linked account. You can't access cash directly from PayPal!

You can.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/accesscard
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have good experience with PayPal.
    When you sell on eBay, you are not paid by eBay into Paypal, you are paid by the buyer straight into your Paypal account, minus the Paypal handling fee which goes to Paypal.

You don't 'claim' a payment from Paypal.
    You have a Paypal account just like a bank current account. When you have been paid by your buyer, you can do a transfer from your Paypal account to your linked bank account. YOU do it, online, completely under your control. If the payment has been done in the wrong direction it has to be user error.
    The only circumstance I'm aware of that allows Paypal to take money from your bank account is in the event of a Dispute from a buyer which is found against you, a refund to the buyer is mandated but there aren't sufficient funds in the Paypal account to cover it.

As others have already said, your posts are unclear - if you can re-state the facts clearly and accurately then we can comment further.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure