Barclays account "under review"

Options

Comments

• VLIT
    VLIT Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    lee1johny wrote: »
    I went into the bank and asked for a balance slip, they said that my current balance is 0 because my account is under review. When the review will stop the money will return to my account. I find that really strange.
    Does anyone know, if I ask them to close my account and return the money to my brother in law, will this be possible if account is under review?

As I said above, they might have just told you something wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. They kept on giving me different information about my account, so it is possible that if you go in again they will tell you something different. I have never asked for a balance slip so I don't know whether they would give it to you, but it can't hurt to try. Maybe talk to a different employee or go to a different branch and see what they say! If they did take the money that is strange and should not be happening, so I would try and seek legal advice, because as far as I know they are not allowed to just take your money out of your account!
    For what concerns closing the account, I am afraid you will not be allowed to do that. You might be allowed to get some of your funds out upon providing proof that the funds are yours, which is easy to do if they came from an employer but harder if it came from a private individual such as your brother in law lending you money. To close your account you will have to wait until the review is completed and you have access to your funds again!
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They might call it under review but in practise it is frozen - so no you cannot close it, move any funds from it or transfer it to another bank.

By now I would be onto my MP and the national papers and all over social media if it happened to me.
  • VLIT
    VLIT Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    By now I would be onto my MP and the national papers and all over social media if it happened to me.

As far as social media and national papers, I don't see a point. They are both full of stories just like mine and I doubt it would make a difference to Barclays.
    I might be asking a very dull question, but what do you mean with "would be onto my MP"? Would you contact him and explain the situation? I know this may sound really stupid, but I have just moved to this country and did not realize you could contact a MP to help sorting out your own issues.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They might call it under review but in practise it is frozen - so no you cannot close it, move any funds from it or transfer it to another bank.

As you're well aware it's the law that needs changing. Until banks are held accountable for their actions they will hide behind the legislation which gives them free will to pretty much do as they please in these situations leaving the customer high and dry. There should at least be a maximum time limit a bank can freeze an account without concrete evidence. It's like holding an individual under arrest without charge.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Those pesky terrorists and criminals are so selfish, using the banking system and making the banks have to check transactions......
  • Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Those pesky terrorists and criminals are so selfish, using the banking system and making the banks have to check transactions......

Oh, well, in that case it's OK for the banks to treat customers like s***, refuse them access to their money, refuse to explain why, refuse to apologise etc. Glad it's stopped crime and terrorism though. Oh, wait a minute... :beer:
    Not even wrong
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 March 2017 at 6:33PM
    Options
    Twopints wrote: »
    Oh, well, in that case it's OK for the banks to treat customers like s***,.....

only the dodgy ones, the 99% of good / normal ones get treated well.
    Judging by the stories on MSE it's usually using a personal account for business, or suddenly moving large sums of money without any prior conversation with the bank, or overseas connections, or a combination of these, that is at the root of problems.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    Until banks are held accountable for their actions

Seriously old news....... still very current though.
    HSBC has confirmed it is to pay US authorities $1.9bn (£1.2bn) in a settlement over money laundering, the largest paid in such a case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20673466
    HSBC pays out £28m over money-laundering claims

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jun/04/hsbc-fined-278m-over-money-laundering-claims
    Britain's biggest bank is still being used by criminals – almost four years after it was fined £1.1billion for money laundering.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3459374/Why-Cherie-s-bank-haven-crooks-HSBC-reveals-monitor-installed-fined-1-1bn-money-laundering-flagged-concerns-pace-progress.html
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    ...suddenly moving large sums of money without any prior conversation with the bank, ...
    Conversation with whom exactly? If they want conversation they must have some regular procedure for this and make their customers aware of its existence.
  • starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    For large credits bank can ask for document proof but there should be timescale in which bank should make a decision or ask for further evidence.

Someone said its been 3 months and the account is still under review. That's totally unacceptabe.

We have just sold a property and l20k has been transferred in our account. The money is available and we are hoping the property we are purchasing completion will be done by next Friday.

Now if bank freeze the account because of large credit and took a long time to make a decsion on it. Who would be responsible for our losses especially if we loose the property.

All banks are same but I have seen allot of news of Barclays. Just keep away from Barclays for large deposits.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback