candle making

Options
carolbee
carolbee Posts: 1,708 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I’d like to have a go at candle making, the sticky threads on here are quite old, so would appreciate some up to date info. I’ve browsed different sites but not sure which one to go with.

Anyone used a supplier recently they can recommend, don’t want a beginners set really,want to buy wicks, fragrance etc individually, as have some glass jars to use.

Thank you
Carolbee

Comments

• Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It's worth buying the basics such as soy wax, wicks, coloured wax (if you want coloured candles), fragrance, etc, and seeing how you get on, how easy you find it and if it's the craft for you - before you spend lots on high quality products. There are some very helpful candle-makers groups on Facebook where you can get advice on curing the candles, flame height, burn rate, and so on.

You can buy the basics individually from the likes of Hobbycraft and good craft shops.
  • bella_m
    bella_m Posts: 17 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bees wax candles are good. Just melt down the wax, and pour it into the shape/jar you want with an added wick. The combination of wick type and wax is important.
  • If your looking into selling to the public do look into the legalities as candles are a bit of a dubious area since your legally supposed to mention everything that is used to make them up & list them somewhere on the packaging due to EU laws...if youlook at some of the highstreet branded candles, some of the stickers underneath with give you an idea of what is required. You would also be advised to take out liability insurance due to the nature of the product your selling. All you need is one customer who for example has a fire in their home and they say your candle was burning at the time even though it coudl be a case of an error on the customers part, and next you find yourself being sued.

I was looking to sell candle holders and was considering selling ready made and hand made candles alongside the holders, but I was put off with the whole worry of the legalities involved. You do see some people selling candles that don't comply or even know they have to comply with such EU laws and many might have got away with it but I would read up on the requirements just to be on the safe side.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure