DVLA revoked licence.

Options
sheep1003
sheep1003 Posts: 25 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I had my driving licence revoked for a year and a bit for medical reasons and I’m pretty sure (fingers crossed!!) that I’m getting it back in the next couple of months.

I’m just curious as I was doing an insurance check on a comparison site and although there is no place to say if you have it revoked (there is for any driving convictions) does that mean I don’t have to tell them? Also when I get back do I say that I have held a driving licence since 2007 (when I passed my test) or from the date I get my driving licence back? It’s just that saying that over doubles my insurance quotes!

Hopefully someone can give me an idea, I will of course ask the dvla when it’s reinstated, I’m just curious now!!

Thanks.

Comments

• angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    Options
    Length of licence is from when you passed your test. If you still have a dvla notifiable medical condition you have to say yes to that question but it is unlikely to effect premiums. They do not normally ask about previous medical revocation of licence but if an insurer did you would have to answer true fully.

It can take a surprising amount of time for dvla and medical staff to sort out paper work to reinstate licence. Enjoy it when you get it back.
  • sheep1003
    Options
    angrycrow wrote: »
    Length of licence is from when you passed your test. If you still have a dvla notifiable medical condition you have to say yes to that question but it is unlikely to effect premiums. They do not normally ask about previous medical revocation of licence but if an insurer did you would have to answer true fully.

It can take a surprising amount of time for dvla and medical staff to sort out paper work to reinstate licence. Enjoy it when you get it back.

Thank you for clarification.
  • c0989
    c0989 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    As everyone else says here, its from when you pass your test. I have had the same thing and wont effect your premiums.
    I think there is actually a law that protects you
    But like angrycrow says, the process of getting your license back is a nightmare and there is no law when it comes to the DVLA and the medical process.

I have epilepsy and have had 2 seizures, each time I do the right thing, I surrender my license and give up driving for 12 months and each time I am basically left waiting for 6 months.
    Nothing happens you seem to have no rights and effectively all you can do is call them.

I have lost jobs because of it, the first time I had to write to the CEO, this time I am thinking I am about 1 week away from trying the same.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I hope you have better luck
  • sheep1003
    Options
    c0989 wrote: »
    As everyone else says here, its from when you pass your test. I have had the same thing and wont effect your premiums.
    I think there is actually a law that protects you
    But like angrycrow says, the process of getting your license back is a nightmare and there is no law when it comes to the DVLA and the medical process.

I have epilepsy and have had 2 seizures, each time I do the right thing, I surrender my license and give up driving for 12 months and each time I am basically left waiting for 6 months.
    Nothing happens you seem to have no rights and effectively all you can do is call them.

I have lost jobs because of it, the first time I had to write to the CEO, this time I am thinking I am about 1 week away from trying the same.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I hope you have better luck

I’m prepared for the fact that I may have to appeal if the decision is not in my favour, I went through the process of getting it back last year and I wasn’t in as good place medically as I am now, they refused it and I thought I was too borderline medically to appeal but I will do this time.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have a letter from your consultant saying he considers you will be fit to drive after the 12 months, and you are due to get your licence back on (say) 1st Sept., contact the DVLA medical department about a week before that and request that they write giving you their authority to resume driving on that date, in anticipation of them issuing the licence.

I did this, and carried that letter with me until my new licence arrived some 3 or 4 weeks later. The DVLA were extremely helpful when I was in your position.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure