Touch Up Paint - Do I need Primer and Lacquer?

Options
I took a chip out my Vectra's paintwork when closing the boot, and a metal pole got caught between the hatchback and the car body.

The chip is not on a very visible part of the the car, but I still want to fill it in using touch up paint.

My question is, do need to buy lacquer and primer with the touch up paint? I really don't know. Thanks!

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just get a touch-up kit from your Vauxhall dealer or Halfords, it should come with both paint and clear coat/lacquer.
  • pennypincher3562
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Just get a touch-up kit from your Vauxhall dealer or Halfords, it should come with both paint and clear coat/lacquer.

Yes, I see that some of the more expensive kits include the primer, and lacquer.

However, do I really need the primer and lacquer for a chip on a part of the car that isn't clearly visible, and is partly hidden away?

I'd like to try and save some money if possible, and was wondering if I could get away with just purchasing the paint?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 April 2018 at 7:21AM
    Options
    Yes, I see that some of the more expensive kits include the primer, and lacquer.

However, do I really need the primer and lacquer for a chip on a part of the car that isn't clearly visible, and is partly hidden away?

I'd like to try and save some money if possible, and was wondering if I could get away with just purchasing the paint?
    You don't "need" to do anything, you can just put paint on it, make a proper job out of it or leave it entirely, it's your car.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    I'd buy the cheapest touch up paint you can find (ebay) and give it a few coats. If it's metallic and you were trying to do a proper job then preparing the area, primer & lacquer would help the paint match, but if you're not that bothered (and metallic touch up paints rarely match the existing paint anyway) then just go for it with paint alone.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you buy a proper touch up paint kit then you can make a proper job of this repair, and have it available for other repairs that you can see.

Have a look at your bonnet and wings - there might be a few stone chips which need repairing you've won't have noticed unless you've gone looking for them.
  • pennypincher3562
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll consider both options...
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    I have used Chipex in the past. Its one of the paint/lacquer in one systems. On chips its pretty unbelievable in its results. Totally invisible repair though i didnt keep the car more than 6 months after doing it so cant speak as to its longevity.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How deep is the chip? Down to bare metal? If it's an old scratched care and/or you don't care that much, either leave well alone or wack on some paint.

If you want a good lasting job, use primer and lacquer.
  • pennypincher3562
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    How deep is the chip? Down to bare metal? If it's an old scratched care and/or you don't care that much, either leave well alone or wack on some paint.

If you want a good lasting job, use primer and lacquer.

It's not down to to the bare metal. I've decided to go for just the paint, as it's on an inconspicuous part of the car. Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure