Amex Membership Reward points, best way to spend..

Options
Hi all, I have 21,000 points and not sure what to do with them. Is there a good May to maximise their worth?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Depends what you want to buy.

Flights, Hotels, gifts, gift cards...

Maybe have a read here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/03/11/beginners-guide-to-spending-avios/
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Keep collecting for now. 21K is a very small amount of points.
  • guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    beany_bot wrote: »
    Keep collecting for now. 21K is a very small amount of points.

I agree OP should keep collecting, but disagree that it's a very small amount of points...

Granted, you won't get long haul J/F, but you can get 2x return flights to Amsterdam or similar distance, in most of the world - Melbourne to Sydney, for example.
  • treasureirealnds
    Options
    Thank you, normally I would. My Amex gold card first year is up soon so cancelling the card to avoid the charge. So believe I need to transfer them before that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you, normally I would. My Amex gold card first year is up soon so cancelling the card to avoid the charge. So believe I need to transfer them before that.

You can - or you can apply for the Rewards Credit Card which carries no charge and retains your MR account and points balance (and adds more points on spends)
  • treasureirealnds
    Options
    Thank you. I didn’t realise this.
  • jasdev
    jasdev Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had the same question, which led me to the above Head for Points site and also The Points Guy https://thepointsguy.co.uk/ too.

At the moment, I'm just going to sit and continue earning MR points because I've got 9 months before my first year is up and I have to pay an annual fee. I also do all my food shopping at Sainsbury's, so my default option is to convert to Nectar and save on my weekly shop.

However, if I were to be looking to fly off somewhere on an airline that has a compatible membership scheme, then I'd be doing a proper cost comparison of paying cash vs. paying for the flights, but not taxes, with points vs. whatever else.
    As it is, I'm not presently looking to fly anywhere and I'd rather not use my points for a reward flight just for the sake of it!
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure