Help to save account

Options
Hi,

I am in receipt of Child Tax credit. Can I open up Help to save account?

I am abit confused I have seen on the internet eligibility when claiming WTC or CTC an some says WTC only.

Thanks

Comments

• starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/help-to-save/about-help-to-save

The above link says

You can only open an account if you're receiving Working Tax Credit and meet all the eligibility criteria.

Why the two are different?
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    The reason they are different is that they are rolling it out slowly - initially to WTC only claimants which is why the application page only mentions WTC. It will open up from October 2018 for all of those who are eligible.

But the other page is correct. You have to be entitled to WTC - but you can be entitled to WTC but receiving only CTC. So if you are a CTC only claimant you won't qualify. But if you are entitled to WTC but it is reduced to nil due to your income and your get CTC payments only you will qualify.

IQ
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not sure
    I claim wtc's as I have m.s.
    Review mse savings thread where I and some others have recently opened help to save account.
    I've paid 50 and setup standing order per month.
    The helpline advisors are helpful if you need to ask
    Best of luck I think it's an excellent way to save 2-4years with a small bonus year2and4
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure