Mortgage PPI - Can i claim if they didnt pay

Options
Hi, I'm hoping i can get some advice on here. In 1992 we took out a mortgage and was sold PPI (which was ok by us) however, it was mis-sold as it we were told its was a condition of the mortgage anyway, but that is not my concern for now. What i would like to know is, do we have an issue with the building society as we needed to claim on the policy twice and each time it took months for them to pay out (11 months the first time) and 8 months the second) and as a result the mortgage went into arrears and put fines on the mortgage. I think this is classed as mis-sold as it didnt work as we thought it would.? Anybody help? Thank you

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    however, it was mis-sold as it we were told its was a condition of the mortgage anyway, but that is not my concern for now.

In the 90s, there were some deals that were (in-house lenders own insurance product only).
    What i would like to know is, do we have an issue with the building society as we needed to claim on the policy twice and each time it took months for them to pay out (11 months the first time) and 8 months the second) and as a result the mortgage went into arrears and put fines on the mortgage.

You have a right to complain about the claim handling if you felt it was not good. You will need to raise your complaint within 3 years of the claims.
    I think this is classed as mis-sold as it didnt work as we thought it would.?

No. That does not make it missold.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure