Vegan Living & Ethical Buying

Options

Comments

• debtfreeforlife
    Options
    Apologies for double-posting, but I have just finished watching A Plastic Ocean on Netflix. Recently I have been buying a lot of single-use plastics. This was an excellent reminder of the importance of me stopping that, since it is purely coming from my laziness - am really annoyed at myself for slipping on this. It's a great documentary, well worth watching.

(I do realise though that it is difficult for some as it is generally cheaper to buy products made of or packaged in plastic, and that I am lucky that I have other options.)
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Bought 5kg of organic soya beans for £13.56. I have a soya milk maker and had got lazy in recent years to use it as often as I once did. I've had my maker over 10 years.
    The environmental saving in transport of 5kg of beans vs around 70 1L bottles of soya milk is mental to think about.
    Also could make yogurt, tofu and tempeh with the soya beans.
    Okara is a nice by product of making soya milk that can be used lots of ways too.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • arsenalbarnie
    Options
    Bought 5kg of organic soya beans for £13.56. I have a soya milk maker and had got lazy in recent years to use it as often as I once did. I've had my maker over 10 years.
    The environmental saving in transport of 5kg of beans vs around 70 1L bottles of soya milk is mental to think about.
    Also could make yogurt, tofu and tempeh with the soya beans.
    Okara is a nice by product of making soya milk that can be used lots of ways too.

Out of interest for future present ideas for my son, what make is your milk maker? Do you use dried beans and soak them?
    Total weight lost 6.5/73lbs starting yet again. Afds August 10/15. /8 Sept.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    It's a soya fresh multi function milk maker, but as I said I've had it over 10 years and I don't believe they make it anymore. A soyabella or a soylove premier would likely be better. If mine died I'd think about buying a new one, but I have a very good blender (blendtec) and the knowledge of how to do it that way as I did before my parents got me my soy milk maker.

The maker I have has the option of soaked using function one and dried using function two. Function three is reheat and function four is just grind for raw milks like hemp, almond etc.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    Another bulk buy was delivered today. 2x5L bottles of Bio D washing up liquid £20.91. Thankfully I realised we were nearly out. OH decants into the 750ml bottle we have.
  • LoulaFanoula
    Options
    Hello fellow Vegan. I am trying to follow the same path and enjoying reading through the comments :)
  • PickleRick2018
    Options
    I’m vegan & so is my girlfriend, about 2.5 years now!

We’re aiming to be almost zero waste, although have just started!
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We’re aiming to be almost zero waste, although have just started!
    I would love to be able to achieve that too, but the reason below is mostly why I don't believe I could fully reach it :(
    (I do realise though that it is difficult for some as it is generally cheaper to buy products made of or packaged in plastic, and that I am lucky that I have other options.)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oops, been awol for a while!! :eek:

Rl has been incredibly busy but I'm back now!

So, in the past few months, I've done really well, I finally put in my Suma order so I have enough food to last for a considerable period of time; I've bought all my laundry, cleaning products and toiletries in bulk so really minimising the plastics; I've cooked from scratch pretty much the whole time and I'm not having any food waste as I have finally managed to gauge portion sizes! :j:j

I decided to sort some of my herbs last week - I've re-potted my chocolate mint and while I did so I've taken a job lot of cuttings as a number of people now want some; I dehydrated some sage and I have released my thyme and lemon thyme from the weeds that had begun to engulf them!

I've also started to collect my tayberries, loganberries and raspberries that have ripened and I'm putting them all in the freezer until I have enough for some jam or wine ;)

At home the big clear out has started ready for the major refurb we are doing over the next six to nine months - unfortunately, it always looks worse before it looks better!! :o Currently, I feel that I am living in a dumping ground for all sorts of random items belonging to random people!! :rotfl:

Anyhoo, must be off as need to go and look after the grandbaby....hope you are all okay! :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lots of lovely food made yesterday....roasted peppers stuffed with tomato, basil, red onion, black olives and vegan feta; bloomed wild rice with green beans in a lemongrass dressing and a melon, pomegranate and orange salad...nomnom!!

I've got a menu plan for the week - I had some tomatoes left over so I put a chilli together and there is enough of today's food to have some leftovers for lunch so I'm pretty sorted now....

I've got someone coming this week to pick up bookcases (I'm giving them away but at least they'll be put to good use ;)) and the house clearing is well underway :D all is going well! :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback