PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tidying a flat... .

Options
I was advised to post here rather than the 'in my home' board; people claim that you're tidier!

So my landlord phoned me today to say that he is bringing people round to view my flat on Thursday. He's quite unforgiving which means that I have two days to make the place spotless. Can anyone help please...? Help with advice rather than elbow grease... .

Okay, I'm throwing all the sofa covers in the wash today. I shall wipe down the worktop surfaces, clean the bath etc. I have a few problems though: there's what looks like mould on the bathroom ceiling. It's not very nice, and well...I don't know how to get rid of it... . Secondly the hobs on my oven are quite dirty. Thirdly my laminated floor isn't very clean. Fourthly the windows aren't quite clean. So what I really need to know is what I need to buy from the shops today in order to clean my flat down. What are the best products...? Is elbow grease really the secret ingredient...? Thank you...!
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi David

For your mouldy ceiling - give it a scrub with a bit of well diluted bleach and water, once it's dry coat with a layer of pva glue to stop the mould coming back through and then a coat of paint when it's all dry - pva glue is really cheap to pick up and a little goes a long way.

For your hob - make up a paste of washing powder with a little bit of water - smear it all over and leave to soak for as long as possible - should then all come off quite easily.

Laminate floor - sweep/hoover up as much as possible and then invest in a couple of microfibre clothes - give the floor a good wash over with a well wrung out mop and then polish dry with the microfibre cloth (around a pound each in supermarkets)

Windows - hot soapy water - give them a good wash then wipe over with warm water with a splash of vinegar in, buff them up with a microfibre cloth and they should sparkle (don't do it when it's too sunny though as it encourages smears)

As for the rest of it - a good bit of elbow grease does wonders - as does opening the windows for some fresh air.

Good luck HTH
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Re: the mould on your bathroom ceiling. Try and clean as best as you can but don't you worry about it. It's probably your landlord's fault for not having adequate ventilation in there in the first place! He shouldn't have a go at you for that.
  • David333
    David333 Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pooky wrote: »
    Hi David

For your hob - make up a paste of washing powder with a little bit of water - smear it all over and leave to soak for as long as possible - should then all come off quite easily.

Washing powder...? Sorry to sound a little stupid, but do you mean washing powder that I'd usually put in the washing machine...?
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    David333 wrote: »
    Washing powder...? Sorry to sound a little stupid, but do you mean washing powder that I'd usually put in the washing machine...?

I know the question's not directed at me, but yes, it's normal washing powder. Make sure it's biological powder though.
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dettol mould and mildew remover is fantastic for cleaning mould up - we have a similar problem in our bathroom and a quicl squirt gets rid of it. I think it has a fungicide in it as well as bleach so it stops it coming back quite so quickly. Just don't inhale the spray and try it on an inconspicuous area first as it can sometimes bleach paintwork - it's not that noticeable on white but if it's a colour you could have a problem.

Windows - if you can't be bothered with the soap/water/vinegar route (very OS but time consuming) then Mr Muscle (the green stuff in a trigger spray bottle) is the best stuff I've found. Don't forget to wipe the tiles in your kitchen, mine are maroon (urgh) and show up every splash. The best thing I've found to clean them is a little bit of stardrops on a green dish-scrubby, give them a good scrub and then wipe them clean with a well rinsed microfibre cloth, it makes them look really clean. Stardrops is a good all purpose cleaner, but don't use it on floors as it'll make them sticky.

Like a previous poster said, open the windows and air the place - washing bedding will make the bedroom smell fresher. Maybe invest in a couple of scented candles? Make sure rugs, cushions etc are 'straight', I once read an article that said many people who see straight, tidy rugs etc will automatically assume that a place is 'clean' and will overlook any slightly dingy bits lol (although of course this has limits ;).
  • David333
    David333 Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help. I've put the cushion and seat sovers of the sofa in the wash, but the rest of it is kinda dirty. Is there anything I can do to clean the bits that won't go in the washing machine...?
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's fabric you can get spray on cleaner in most £/discount shops or just use a little washing up liquid and water with a sponge, don't get it too wet. I would vacuum it first instead of 'washing in' dirt. They do the cleaners in supermarkets but can be more expensive. Test on an unseen area first of course.

If you're going to buying a cleaning solution you can get the ones which do everything, I think Mr Muscle does one which will do everything from carpets/furniture to kitchen and windows. I have used them before with successful results. Get the windows open to air the place out.

My other tip would be start in one room, instead of bits in one then another. Do what is worst first. Landlords etc will probably pick even if you do a very good job so maybe leave something obvious for him to winge about. Something which is easily cleaned like toothpaste in the sink etc :rotfl: been there, can you tell.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some upholstery cleaner, the foamy kind that you rub in and hoover off? That's easily available from supermarkets and works well, although as always do a test spot somewhere inconspicuous first.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get a cheap blanket in a colour that co-ordinates and use it as a throw - throw it artisticly over the sofa and hide it :D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    I've tried the Mr. M window cleaner, but I think the quickest and most successful way with dirty windows is - get a bowl of hot water - put in it about a teaspoon of washing up liquid. Have a cloth to wash down the window, including the frame. It will probably take a couple of goes. Then get a smooth cloth, teatowel or teeshirt stuff, you don't want anything that will leave little bits of fibre on the window. Use this cloth to wipe the glass until it's dry. There should be no smears and it takes very little time.

Save your money to get some special floor polish stuff. It will look nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure