PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tidying a flat... .

Comments

• David333
    David333 Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't know if this is as exciting to you as it was to me, but the whole of my sofa cover goes in the wasking machine1 I had no idea but you can unzip some of it, unvelcro (develcro? disvelcro?) the rest of it, and it all sldies off ready to wash! I may be excited because it's saved me a job... .
  • David333
    moanymoany wrote: »
    I've tried the Mr. M window cleaner, but I think the quickest and most successful way with dirty windows is - get a bowl of hot water - put in it about a teaspoon of washing up liquid. Have a cloth to wash down the window, including the frame. It will probably take a couple of goes. Then get a smooth cloth, teatowel or teeshirt stuff, you don't want anything that will leave little bits of fibre on the window. Use this cloth to wipe the glass until it's dry. There should be no smears and it takes very little time.

Save your money to get some special floor polish stuff. It will look nice.

Thanks! To be honest it's the france which is the problem. I was trying the hot water/vinegar solution trick on the glass which means that they're sparkling; it's just the frames which are black now... .
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    For window frames (assuming plastic here) cif is good.

Just a reminder too not to forget to get the bathroom nice and clean. Believe me, there's nothing more offputting than a dirty bath or toilet..shiver. Cif is excellent for this too..

There are cheaper cream cleaners if you're strapped for cash but I find they take a lot more rinsing than cif does.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't wash the covers too hot or they might shrink!!

Frames, if plastic, scouring pad and hot soapy water, cream cleaner like ajax/jif or somthing, if not one of those eraser things (look like little white square sponges) would probably help.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • David333
    lil_me wrote: »
    Don't wash the covers too hot or they might shrink!!

Frames, if plastic, scouring pad and hot soapy water, cream cleaner like ajax/jif or somthing, if not one of those eraser things (look like little white square sponges) would probably help.

Oh no! They're in the washing machine already - on a 60 as the label said... . I shall hope for the best. The frames are wood... .
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If it says 60 they should be fine, labels are there for a reason.

Wood frames, if they are gloss painted same thing applies really.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Looli
    Looli Posts: 10 Forumite
    A really fab thing to clean windows with is newspaper! seriously, it's fab. It also recycles your newspaper...so you get the best of both worlds!!
  • David333
    The problem is my wood frames are flaking off as I rub them hard. Apart from that the day's been quite productive. Thank you for your collective help... .
  • Looli
    Looli Posts: 10 Forumite
    Maybe rub them a little less hard! I'm sure the rest of your flat is looking fab so don't worry too much...well done you for wanting to make a good impression for your landlord!
  • David333
    Looli wrote: »
    Maybe rub them a little less hard! I'm sure the rest of your flat is looking fab so don't worry too much...well done you for wanting to make a good impression for your landlord!

It's not finished yet but at least I know what I'm doing. It's not really that I want to make a good impression; I want my deposit back!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure