PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

I have just moved into a new flat with an AST Fixed term for 12 months

Options
I have just moved into a new flat with an AST Fixed term for 12 months, no break clause. Initially I asked for a 6 month contract but the LL negotiated lower rent for 12 month contract instead. Long story short, the flat is dark, damp and has a problem with slugs coming in at night which is getting me down (yes I know there are worse horror stories out there but it's a bit gross). Basically I'm not sure if I want to stay for the whole year, finding it very stressful to deal with all the problems in the flat and focus on my PhD which I've just started.

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It seems like you're not the only one.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5907317
    mhurry wrote: »
    I have just moved into a new flat with an AST Fixed term for 12 months, no break clause. Initially I asked for a 6 month contract but the LL negotiated lower rent for 12 month contract instead. Long story short, the flat is dark, damp and has a problem with slugs coming in at night which is getting me down (yes I know there are worse horror stories out there but it's a bit gross). Basically I'm not sure if I want to stay for the whole year, finding it very stressful to deal with all the problems in the flat and focus on my PhD which I've just started. The LL is pretty good about coming round and doing repairs/trying to fix the slug problem, but I feel this could be a persistent issue and the damp's probably not going anywhere soon...

I understand you can negotiate to 'surrender the tenancy' but the LL must agree and can equally say no and insist you pay rent for the full 12 months. Has anyone ever gotten out of a fixed term agreement early, and if so how did you do it?

Thanks!
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • thickasabrick
    Options
    If you can’t break the contract I can recommend purchasing a far infra red heating panel and leave it running until the walls dry out.

You can search for articles on how it works.

Lots to choose from in price and spec.

I can vouch for the ”Trotec INFRARED HEATING PANEL TIH 700 S”. £100 to purchase and runs at 700 watts.

Unfortunately you’ll have to take the financial hit in running costs but once the walls have dried out it should require less energy to keep them that way ongoing.

On the plus side you will be nice and warm and dry with no slug worries over the winter.

Good luck
    I have just moved into a new flat with an AST Fixed term for 12 months, no break clause. Initially I asked for a 6 month contract but the LL negotiated lower rent for 12 month contract instead. Long story short, the flat is dark, damp and has a problem with slugs coming in at night which is getting me down (yes I know there are worse horror stories out there but it's a bit gross). Basically I'm not sure if I want to stay for the whole year, finding it very stressful to deal with all the problems in the flat and focus on my PhD which I've just started.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am sorry, but you did agree to the 12 month contract at a reduced rate, and I assume viewed it first?

You are now tied into the contract unless environmental health come round and declare the place uninhabitable. If you make enough complaints to the LL perhaps he might agree an early surrender.

Or you could do as the above post suggests.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    You can leave any time you like, eg this evening at 20:47. But you remain liable for rent for the full 12 months. Try negotiating with landlord/agent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure