Black Mould - help?

Options
Hello all,

Sincere apologies as this isn't actually money saving, but you are all so knowledgeable, and I wasn't sure who else to ask!

I am in a rented flat. A flat a few floors up has had a leak, and it's left my utility cupboard with brown stains and some black mould. I've just used some mould remover on it, and have opened all doors, windows etc to dry it out. I've also got a household rotating fan in there.

My question is, will the fan actually help, or will it just spread the mould spores around the rest of the flat?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Assuming the leak has been sorted the cupboards needs to dry out either open door or use a dehumidifier which really helps reduce condensation as a result of humidity
  • SeaVixen
    SeaVixen Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    Assuming the leak has been sorted the cupboards needs to dry out either open door or use a dehumidifier which really helps reduce condensation as a result of humidity

Thanks for the reply!
    Annoyingly, it hasn't been sorted yet. The water has been turned off to the flat in question since 8am this morning, and a plumber has been called, but I can still hear some dripping, so it looks like there is still some water to work it's way through. Will look into getting a dehumidifier tonight - thanks!

Any thoughts on the fan in the interim? Want to feel like I'm doing something to help, but don't want to spread mould spores!
  • nofoollikeold
    Options
    Let your landlord know immediately. He / she can then take photographs of the damage, and take action to minimise long term impact, while deciding whether to make an insurance claim or not.

For your own protection, photograph / document what has happened.

Dehumidifier is the best bet, but I'd expect the landlord to provide, or at least reimburse you for hire cost if you go that route.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2018 at 4:53PM
    Options
    As a tenant you should not be dealing with this alone. Your landlord is legally liable for water ingress/ mould issues in your rented property, including supplying a dehumidifier and paying additional electric costs. YES even if the leak is not their fault. Write/ e-mail and keep copies if they are trying to duck out.

In turn, your landlord should be working with the freeholder or their managing agent for the block who should be working with the leaseholder/ occupants of the leaky flat, and leaseholders/ occupants of affected flats ...

If the water leak is ongoing, the freeholder or their managing agent or their emergency plumber can legally 'break in' to the problem flat to deal with the water. These entities have no legal responsibility to you as tenant, but some will work with you since it is quicker than via the landlord!

If you are struggling with your landlord contact the Environmental Health department of your local council. Be VERY clear the water is a LEAK because EH constantly deal with condensation damp/ mould issues.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    SeaVixen wrote: »

Any thoughts on the fan in the interim? Want to feel like I'm doing something to help, but don't want to spread mould spores!
    Mould spores are like dust. If you've cleaned and treated the area there shouldn't be any. Fans work well to dry areas. Its also good to open windows to allow the moist air to escape. Its likely there are already spores in other areas but they will not grow unless the conditions are right. Throwing away cloths used to remove the mould is recommended as these can help mould migrate.
  • Zapata123
    Options
    I removed pvc trim from the side of a window, noticed black mould in the top corner, applied mould remover, NOW the room smells musty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure